Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missing piece? Ceramic Top

Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just revived my BGE today and was checking it out and noticed it did not have the green ceramic top (CT) like I have seen on some BGE's in photos and whatnot. Then I was reading on nakedwhiz.com that the put the fire out that one needs the CT. I would just like to know if that is still true and I should have revived one, before I call the dealer and look simpleminded. I did not see any CT at the dealer when I was there and that is why I am asking the question here. For what it worth it was assembeled and delivered to me. Thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    That ceramic top is part of the green egg package and should have been included with your egg.
  • Longrifle
    Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Longrifle,

It comes in a little box with the little green feet, or it used to. Check with the dealer, I bet they simply forget it. It happens quite a bit.
  • Greenman72
    Greenman72 Posts: 20
    I do have my CT, but for what it's worth, I don't think it serves much real purpose.

When my metal top kept coming off, I put a piece of gasket around the inside of it. Now it never comes off accidentally, and sometimes it won't come off even when I want it to. And it is certainly capable of choking out the fire.

I could understand getting the CT of you don't want the metal top to get rusty, though. And if it did get really bad, you could always get another one. But if you're worried about being able to put out the fire, worry no more. The metal top will do just fine.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    A piece of Alum Foil under the DFMT when shutting down
    your BGE will work until you get your CT.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    You should have also received the three green feet and while not necessarily have to have the white plastic pieces for when ever you need to disassemble the hinge assembly. ;)
  • Longrifle
    Thanks for all of the intelligence. Owe you folks.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You definitely should have received the ceramic rain cap. While the metal cap will snuff the fire (albeit not as fast as the ceramic top) it won't keep the rain out if you don't have a cover on your Egg.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For now get a square of aluminum foil and cover the dome vent to shut down the egg, works great! You then can put the DFMT inside the egg to somewhat keep the moisture off of it. I used a rubber band to hold the foil on the egg.

GG
  • thegrillster
    thegrillster Posts: 348
    Well should the mini come with the CT?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Yes, should be standard issue.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    yep
    photo-8.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Longrifle
    Thanks for all of the input!! This yarn has a happy ending. I Called Fireplace World in Terre Haute, IN, (which conincidentally is were I bought the BGE) at 9:00 AM. I explained to the Gentlemen on the phone what the issue was and he said "oh Poo" (or words to that effect)"I remember leaving that and the feet in the van". He had the missing parts driven to my house 30 minutes later. :) Steller customer service. I will stoke the bad boy up on this my three day weekend. :woohoo:
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Great news! Congrats on having a happy ending! :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)