Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Missing piece? Ceramic Top

LongrifleLongrifle Posts: 130
edited 3:32AM in EggHead Forum
I just revived my BGE today and was checking it out and noticed it did not have the green ceramic top (CT) like I have seen on some BGE's in photos and whatnot. Then I was reading on nakedwhiz.com that the put the fire out that one needs the CT. I would just like to know if that is still true and I should have revived one, before I call the dealer and look simpleminded. I did not see any CT at the dealer when I was there and that is why I am asking the question here. For what it worth it was assembeled and delivered to me. Thanks
·

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,035
    That ceramic top is part of the green egg package and should have been included with your egg.
    ·
  • LongrifleLongrifle Posts: 130
    Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow.
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Longrifle,

It comes in a little box with the little green feet, or it used to. Check with the dealer, I bet they simply forget it. It happens quite a bit.
    ·
  • Greenman72Greenman72 Posts: 20
    I do have my CT, but for what it's worth, I don't think it serves much real purpose.

When my metal top kept coming off, I put a piece of gasket around the inside of it. Now it never comes off accidentally, and sometimes it won't come off even when I want it to. And it is certainly capable of choking out the fire.

I could understand getting the CT of you don't want the metal top to get rusty, though. And if it did get really bad, you could always get another one. But if you're worried about being able to put out the fire, worry no more. The metal top will do just fine.
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    A piece of Alum Foil under the DFMT when shutting down
    your BGE will work until you get your CT.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    You should have also received the three green feet and while not necessarily have to have the white plastic pieces for when ever you need to disassemble the hinge assembly. ;)
    ·
    Thanks for all of the intelligence. Owe you folks.
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    You definitely should have received the ceramic rain cap. While the metal cap will snuff the fire (albeit not as fast as the ceramic top) it won't keep the rain out if you don't have a cover on your Egg.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For now get a square of aluminum foil and cover the dome vent to shut down the egg, works great! You then can put the DFMT inside the egg to somewhat keep the moisture off of it. I used a rubber band to hold the foil on the egg.

GG
    ·
  • thegrillsterthegrillster Posts: 348
    Well should the mini come with the CT?
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Yes, should be standard issue.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    yep
    photo-8.jpg
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Thanks for all of the input!! This yarn has a happy ending. I Called Fireplace World in Terre Haute, IN, (which conincidentally is were I bought the BGE) at 9:00 AM. I explained to the Gentlemen on the phone what the issue was and he said "oh Poo" (or words to that effect)"I remember leaving that and the feet in the van". He had the missing parts driven to my house 30 minutes later. :) Steller customer service. I will stoke the bad boy up on this my three day weekend. :woohoo:
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    Great news! Congrats on having a happy ending! :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·