Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pssst...here's a bit of advice...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
don't ever hot tub a tri-tip! Talk about a pos tasting piece of beef! I even tried to mask it with some favorite rubs etc! Trust me! It was fresh and from a trusted butcher shop but that was HORRIBLE! yuck yuck yuck - gotta go brush my teeth! :sick:
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    AW Man,That BITES! :( Thanks for the tip.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Wow, that really sucks, Ron.
    Especially when Santa Maria Tri Tip is just plain wonderful.
    Sorry to hear this.

:sick:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I've experimented with Sous Vide tri tip... with varied results. I've gone as long as 72 hrs in 135° water (It fell apart when I tried to slice it) but had excellent (though somewhat inconsistant) results from shorter times in the water. 24 hrs has given some tender, tasty results when followed by a short sear. I don't sear at as high a temp as I would a steak...but 90sec per side seems to give good results.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    9b42260f.jpg

Hmmmm, that sounds weird. What was the taste like, or not like? Did it take too much of the salt during the warming? Did you add other seasonings before grilling?

After the CI article came out the first thing I hot tubbed was a London broil (since that was the featured cut), then a ribeye and then a tri-tip. The photo above is of the tip end. I've done a few over the years, but usually stick to steaks or chops due to the container size, plus I like to cook tri-tip at barbecue temps rather than grilling temps.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Greeting ThirdEye,
    Now I have tri tip at high temps and low so I'm wondering what temps you like??

Thanks for any info,
    Bordello
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I'll cook them in the 250* - 275* range (raised direct), rest, then do an end sear on them.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Wayne, as for seasoning I applied a little kosher salt and some DP Shakin the Trees rub right before going onto a 600° fire. I've been hot tubbing and then searing my steaks for the last few years and never have I experienced this awful taste - I don't know what it's called but there is some off taste - at least to me - when beef has been cooked and then reheated. I can't stand the reheated taste and that's what this thing did!

Guess I better try the roast and reverse sear next time, but it may be a while before I get on that horse again!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    thirdeye.....what temp do you cook tri-tips at?
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Thanks 3rdeye........I gotta try that, alto I have no problems with the way mine are coming out now. But, I'm alwyas open to trying tips from the masters. Thanks.