Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do any of you use a wok?

Options
OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to order some toys from The Ceramic Grill Store I am considering the wok I have never used one but could be good for shrimp

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    woks are good for alot of things, its my indoor scrambled egg pan, and used on the grill frequently
    heres steak and cheese,

165.jpg

171.jpg

168.jpg

heres condensing flavors and removing moisture for a meatloaf

DSC_0716.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

some home fries

100_1750.jpg

some oyster chicken

100_1762.jpg

100_1761.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1764.jpg

100_1766.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have a wok for my large from Ceramic grill store and I love it. I also have a wok for my small and mini. I do chinese food & fried food quite a bit..oh and pop popcorn as well :) ...be sure and get the spider from Ceramic Grill store to go with the wok... :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    All the time! It's good for a whole lot more than shrimp! Just a couple....

DSC03018.jpg
    Finishing shrimp fried rice...

DSC03019.jpg

DSC00284.jpg
    Chicken with broccoli & snow peas...

Honestly...You will love it! Make sure you get a spider, too. (And some welders gloves :blink: )
  • Federalist226
    Options
    I just asked a similar question and then, after learning that a BGE is an excellent platform for a wok, bought the spider and 16 inch wok from CGS. I've used the wok twice in the past two weeks and it is great.

A bit of a learning curve for me. I overloaded the wok the first time and I am still getting used to cooking with such a hot wok. The food has been great though.

I'm going to look for some literature that could help me improve my wok skills.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Lots of people do here. This site won't let you do three letter word searches (like wok) but if you type in stir fry you will get plenty of responses.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    It's my most used accessory! We do stir fry about once a week. We love Chinese style food, and our local Chinese restaurant sucks!

I bought Grace Young's book "Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge". Helpful to learn techniques of using a wok and several good recipes.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    ALL THE TIME! and not just for stir frying either. like a few have posted already they are great for fast hot cooks. ours came from Tom too and like LC said get the spider :)
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    like everyone says .... call tom and get the wok and spider... you will not regret it... unlimited cooking

frying fish

2011-06-24_17-53-09_381.jpg

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    outrageous wrote:
    like everyone says .... call tom and get the wok and spider... you will not regret it... unlimited cooking

frying fish

2011-06-24_17-53-09_381.jpg

The "grease police" are going to bust your chops for this one :lol:

Gonna try this next time fried fish is on the menu. B)

Fishless, that steak and cheese looks delish.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Marine
    Marine Posts: 84
    Options
    got my but haven't used it yet. Can't wait. I am getting a Medium within the next week and will be getting one for that too. I Just realized that when they sent my Wok and everything else, they sent me the spider instead of the Woo3....
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    The spider and a wok work great in the egg.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    You'll enjoy cooking with a wok on your egg. A 14" will work on a medium or large egg.I bought a 16" for my large.A great cook book.The Breath of a Wok.
    Shrimp fried rice.
    P1010033-1.jpg
    pork and vegetables
    P1010036-1.jpg
    Check out The Wok Shop also.They have a beautiful carbon steel hand hammered woks.Lots of accessories and great customer service.
    http://www.wokshop.com/