Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New fire grate for Large

Options
2»

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Kent,

I have had a high-que grate in place now for about a month. I love it. The "small pieces" issue is a non-issue for me. When I scrape out the ashes, yeah there are small pieces there, but not enough to balance the budget or anything.....

Stirring the lump to knock the ash off is a whole lot faster now. I had been using a grate made from expanded stainless steel, but it was sagging lower and lower and lower. This one is da bomb, in my opinion.
    The Naked Whiz
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    I just picked one up myself and their nomex gasket--as mine is already burnt to a crisp. Plan on installing it shortly!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yes expanded SS does bow significantly, at least using the guage that I was able to get.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BHall235
    BHall235 Posts: 32
    Options
    I got a new Plasma cutter the other day and am thinking about welding 2 expanded metal circles with an angle iron cross bar. I will take some pics and test it out and let yall know!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, it might not be worth getting and cutting the expanded metal.

I would think that 'openness' would really improve the performance of the egg. I would think the need to use a wiggle rod would be reduced or even eliminated.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I love tools and any excuse I can get to buy something is OK. Nevertheless, my buying a plasma cutter would increase the end cost of the work around for met. :):)

The angled bar should eliminate any of the bowing.

GG
  • harps
    harps Posts: 13
    Options
    got both the gasket and grate a while back got the gasket on and put grate in worked ok but put other grate back in for low and slow and made a wiggle rod new grate still setting on shelf hope that helps