Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12/3/6/9/center????!!!!

13»

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Each pile of lump contains 'X' amount of BTUs and it's as simple as that. If you are going to cook at 350 degrees, you will get 'T' amount of time to do that. It is all about how much lump you put in and how much air you give it. That's it. It doesn't matter at all where (unless you light it in the center and it burns to the bottom and goes out) or how many different places you light it. I find that doing just as you're bashing is absolutely perfect for grilling (less hot/cold spots), searing, pizzas, whatever. For slow cooking or 250º I light it in 2 places to the left and right of center and toward the front a bit. I hate the donut burn from lighting it in the center.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Last thing I'm going to do is knock Max for his lighting style. I know he could out cook me with one hand, standing on one foot, drinking beer mounted on a hat with the straws. :laugh:
    What ever works for each person.
    I wonder if lump type, humidity, elavation or mental state of mind is key. LOL
    Kind of like T-REX or reverse sear style. Both are good.
    As long as you don't cook on a Weber it's all good...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I'm a Pepper too! 10, 2 & 4 :laugh:
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

In years past I sold professional photo finishing products and professional camera/lighting equipment.

One of my customers was the police and hospitals. Some of those pictures I had to help balance color on was horrific. Images are still very vivid.

• hmmm, not so much bashing and questioning why and where this came from ....i've been egging for 10 years now. ...this light the egg in 5 places recommendation is new to the forum within the past couple of months as far as i can tell...maybe i do a better job of vent control, but in 10 years and many many low and slows, i've had exactly one fire go out on me, and that was when i was using my bbq-guru and the fire burned straight down and went out. ...i owe this more up to being a fluke than to any issue with lighting in one place. ...and like i said, for a faster burn and setup i will light in a couple of places, but thats it ..

hey to each their own...light your egg in as many places as you want ...i just don't newbies thinking that they HAVE to light their eggs in multiple places to get good results....
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    I agree 100%. If I'm doing a slow cook with a plate setter I light in about 3 places because at low temperatures several fires will be so small that they might go out. But for direct grilling I light in 5 (or more). It doesn't waste lump, if anything it saves lump. Because I get even temps across the coals much faster. If I light in one spot it burns a lot of coal before it ever fully spreads. And I do have a background in science. Some of the previous posters are correct. it will get to "X" temperature with one larger fire, or several smaller fires. It may not be an exact science, but it will burn roughly the same amount of coal either way. And forget the cubes and paper towels, just get a MAPP torch.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Greenfan I can tell you this: If you get one egg you will want more.
    If you get a Mapp you will want a flame thrower :laugh:
    But DO NOT use the flame thrower on the MINI... :blush:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    10, 2, & 4 for me. Have no clue why ...but it seems to work well. :laugh:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    One spot you just need to find the ri "g" ht spot. Honestly, let's not get complicated & to the point, all the other cooking variables are the important ones
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I am what I consider a newbie. I was Tolstoy to light in 2 places. I use the egg starters and light in one place almost dead center. Have not had any problems yet. Did a 18 hour cook the other day stll had some lump but when I cleaned the egg tonight it was a perfect ring around the otter edges. I think I will start lighting it farther to the rear.
  • Too many posts to read, so I will probably be redundant. If you want low and slow light one or two, if you want hot and fast light four.

Pretty easy! :)

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"