Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg

Options
Vandy15
Vandy15 Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased an egg this past saturday and had a huge cookout that went extremely well, so far so good. Cooked some of the best burgers and steaks ive had. Seems to me though that the food cooks better on the outer part of the grate rather than directly in the middle, is this normal? Also any pointers? Thank you! B)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Welcome! After the lump is lit, you might wan't to move the lump around so the egg will heat a little more evenly. Also wan't to make sure the holes on the bottom grate are clear and not blocked. Sometimes the smaller pieces of lump will get stuck in holes in the bottom grate and will cause different temps.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

This may be of help.
    FAQ - Tips & Helpful Information

There is a good discussion about lighting the lump in several places vs a single point light. It would be worth your time to read the thread.

I have never mixed the burning lump after the light. I light in several places and then don't bother mixing the burning lump.

mini_steak1.jpg

turbograte1.jpg

GG
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    GG, what is the thing that looks like a piece of metal stuck in the lump in the second pic?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Same item in both pictures. TurboGrate, (the BBQ Guru Folks offer these, touted to provide better starts and better air flow up though the lump bed.

Mickey has a post below with another device to accomplish somewhat the same effect.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Wait till you get a couple of hundred cooks under your belt and then let us know.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the world of eggin.
    If you build your lump in the form of a "pyramid" and don't spread around once it is lit, you will have have hot and cool spots.
    I was taught the pyramid build and use it whether is is wood logs, charcoal or lump. It is an efficient and effective way to start a fire.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Vandy15
    Vandy15 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for the pointers, I will try them tonight when I cook dinner :)