Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket at 185 Dome?

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives over the weekend and it was one of Guy's BBQ specials. I can't remember the place he was at but it was in KC and the guy cooks all his briskets at 185 for about 24 hours. Honestly, it was the most succulent, moist brisket I have ever seen sliced. My last brisket I cooked at 250 dome, so 185 is a HUGE difference. He said the lower temperature/longer cook time helps to keep the brisket moist.

Anybody ever done a brisket that low and slow?

Comments

• 185 dome would be around 165 grid. I doubt you can hold 185 dome in the first place and secondly you couldn't get the brisket to 190-205 if your grid temp was 165.

Your temp of 250 dome is just right

Good luck with it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I wonder if he was using a special oven. There are various high end ($3K -$10K) ovens and smokers that can cook meats at fairly low temperatures for long periods. Often, they are keeping humidity at 100% so the meat cannot dry out.

I have had a 185F fire in the Egg, but it only stayed lit for about 4 hours. I wonder if something like a Guru would keep it going. Between that and a water filled drip pan, it might work.
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    I have done this extra low and slow to a few briskets. They are wonderful. I run them about 190 degrees for 24 hours. Since tenderness is a function of time and temp, it's the extra 10 hours or so that makes them tender. They won't be fall apart tender like a brisket taken to 205, but they will be plenty tender for slicing. If you can find a brisket with some marbling in it, cook it this way and you will notice some of the fat has not rendered out. It will still have little flecks of marbling. Meat plus fat equals good eating.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Squirtle wrote:
    I have done this extra low and slow to a few briskets. They are wonderful. I run them about 190 degrees for 24 hours. Since tenderness is a function of time and temp, it's the extra 10 hours or so that makes them tender. They won't be fall apart tender like a brisket taken to 205, but they will be plenty tender for slicing. If you can find a brisket with some marbling in it, cook it this way and you will notice some of the fat has not rendered out. It will still have little flecks of marbling. Meat plus fat equals good eating.

I would have assumed that would make the brisket dry as the Sahara (at that length of time). I guess not!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Greenman72
    Greenman72 Posts: 20
    I cook mine at about 200 for about 12-14 hours. I foil it after two hours. It will eventually get up to 180 degrees. And it will be nice and juicy. If you don't foil it, it will dry out.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Greenman, I was actually talking about the temp of the BGE, not the temp of the brisket but thanks for your reply. :)
  • There are many ways to cook a good brisket, despite many peoples advice that "their way is the best or only way". That is what is fun about BBQ. You can achieve great results with different approaches. I have never tried brisket that low or long but I wouldn't discount it till I tried it.

I have cooked low and slow and hot and fast with good results both ways. Depends on when you gotta get it done.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"