Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What temp do you use the most?

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
edited 8:41AM in EggHead Forum
At what temp do you cook at the majority of the time on the egg?
For me it would be at 400 and cooking high in the dome direct.
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    350-375 indirect....
    ·
  • Depends what I am making
    Things that don't takes more than 15 min, such as sausage, brats, chicken, burgers, dogs, I do 400 - 450 raised direct
    Anything that takes longer - roasts,stuffed chicken breasts - 1 hour or more - I usually use the plate setter with legs up, spacers on the ps, then a drip pan, then the grid. Stuffed chicken breasts, and stuffed pork chops I put in pan on the grid on plate setter. When I use plate setter I usually cook at 275-300. Keeps the meat moist.
    Steaks are something you will have to experiment and see how you like them. Lots of methods here on the forum and on blogs of members.
    I am always amazed at the expertise and help that is freely available here on the forum and from the members
    ·
  • I tend to run the EGG at 350.
    ·
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    About right for me...375 direct/high in the dome.
    ·
  • MudflapMudflap Posts: 69
    Same as you. 400º raised grid for all chicken, burgers, brats etc.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    350-400 usually works for me.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    I'm usually running at 400 direct, with a raised grid via Woo.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,134
    somewhere between 145 and 1200 dome :laugh: i went about a year and a half once without even having a temp gage, who knows what temp i was cooking at and it didnt even seem to make a difference ;)
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Pretty much the same here. I do quiet a bit of cooking 400 direct on a raised grid. I never cook chickens anymore, with the platesetter.
    ·
  • Austin EggerAustin Egger Posts: 256
    Most of my cooks are direct. I'm happy usually between 360 and 390 for most cooks, not too picky. I go raised or indirect for the real juicy cooks.
    ·
  • 225 - 250 mostly. Steaks are at higher temps of course.
    ·
  • 550* for me :)
    ·
  • Since my most frequent cook is a spatchcocked chicken, I'm with you: 375, raised, direct. Though for other direct things like burgers, it's closer to 400-450.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,496
    Most of my cooks are indirect at around 250*f dome, low and slow.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Always raised grid, other than low and slow 350° - 400°.

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,626
    Looks like a definite trend is established here! ;)

Raised grid, direct, 375-400, except for steaks, which need a sear. We seem to be kinda on the same page.
    Then, again, there's low and slow.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    Did not think we would get this much of a pattern when I posted the question.
    Not sure what I was thinking, just wondering what most did or how far off from most I was (been told a long way off from most, but that is a whole nother story).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • sjmhsjmh Posts: 11
    Which raised grills do you guys tend to use? The half moons, the normal GX, the three-tier or some other third party?
    ·
  • MudflapMudflap Posts: 69
    I use fire bricks and a cast iron grate because I have them and the bricks are cheap.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,626
    I just got 4 1/2 inch bolts 5 inches long along with enough washers and nuts to be able to support one grid above the main grid.
    5 or 5 1/2 long, I don't remember for sure.
    :huh:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

There are many ways to rig up a inexpensive raised grid.

There are a few accessories that I have found well worth the price spent.

I absolutely love tjv's Adjustable Rig and Spider. Money well worth spending. I use both on 99.9% of my cooks.

You can see Tom's Toys here Ceramic Griss Store For the large look at the adjustable rig and the Spider.

Here are a few of my cooks.

chicken1.jpg

packer6.jpg

beefrib3done.jpg

doroast1.jpg

chickenwhitesau1.jpg

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

ribswet1.jpg

sausage_summer.jpg

turkey0812.jpg

chick500.jpg

chili1.jpg

GG
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    Tom's (tjv) Adjustable Rig and Spider and

·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    OK so it's not unusual but my vote is the 350-400 range. That's not to say I don't do other cooks, 230-250 brisket or pork shoulder for example, it's just that 350 is my bog standard grill/roast eg soatch chick or kebabs or whatever else comes my way. Just as 200c is my goto oven temp.

PS raised indirect with woo ring
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    usually between 350 and 400 mostly direct
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Grilling @ 350-400. BBQ @ 225-250.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That is a loaded question. :blink: Depends on a lotta factors. I'm guessin 350 -400 Dome,Direct the majority of the time.
    ·
    Just plain old grids and spacers. ;)
    ·
    B) They do work and they are VERY economical! :)
    ·
    You wasted your money.They will gum up and you will NEVER be able to adjust them after a couple of cooks.Do not ask me how I know this! :angry: You better set em where you want em to begin with. ;)
    ·
  • For those using two grids, is your top grid the same size as the bottom or do you use a smaller one on top?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·