Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Pittsburg Style Steak"

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me how you cook a steak "Pittsburg Style?"[p]Dr. Snore

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Dr. Snore,[p]Pittsburgh, aka 'black & blue,' refers to steak that is charred on the outside & bloody rare on the inside. For a steak about 1.5 inches thick, try searing it over very high heat for maybe 4 minutes a side. Pull it off the Egg and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing. A 'moooooooo' sound should escape. ;-}[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cat, I was coming back to post..but that one is good enuff for me...I detected a bit of Manhatten accent tho!
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Char-Woody,[p]Nope. The cows in Central Park are silent. [p]Cathy
  • Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Cat,Heck---didn't know there was another way! I get ribeyes from Costco, get the egg up to 1000 or so and give a minute and a half a side and take them off. I suppose a good vet might still be able to save the critter, but it sure tastes great.[p]Kona Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Dr. Snore,[p]I did 2 2" filets last night on the small egg and I was going after my Pittsburg char. I had the small up to 550-600 (which is about maxed out for it) and added the steaks for 4 min per side. 5 min would have been ok. My goal was to sear and avoid the dwell time and just go for the sear. You need the high temps for sure or the center will be over done. After the 8 min was up I took a temp reading and had 97 deg internal so I flipped them again leaving them on the grid the whole time - 4 min more (2 min more per side). As it was they went 12 min total (internal temp was 126). They could have come off after 11 min and they would have been a little pinker in the middle. This was with a 2" steak so thinner will cook much quicker. I only add sea salt and pepper. Get that Egg good and hot. Mine go from grill to plate and then to stomach in approx 10 min elapsed time :-)[p]Tim
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Kona Tim,
    Stop talking about it...I'm starving for some beef now!