Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan salt brick on the cheap

YYZash
YYZash Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came a across cooking on Himalayan salt blocks on the web and wanted to try it. I searched here and saw some eggers have been playing around with them.

Funny thing is I showed my wife a Utube where they are cooking shrimp on them and a few days later I have a 8x4x2 4.4 pound Himalayan salt brick sitting on the counter. Where did she get it? The local horse tack shop (supplement area) as a 6 dollar salt lick. Horses are licking this stuff on the cheap while us humans are paying plenty a penney to cook on it.

Yea, it might not be cooking grade, there are some cracks that I am sure will cause problems sooner or later. But I have done shrimp, chicken tenders, and am planning a Haddock fillet tonight. The taste is great if you make sure it is hot enough to do real cooking and the meat doesn't just sit there and simmer (salty).

I will definetly have my wife pick up more bricks the next time she is at the tack shop for greater grill coverage. When they break I will drill some holes in the pieces thread with rope and send them to the barn to fulfill thier origonal purpose.

Comments