Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spareribs: Take 2

Options
golfguy
golfguy Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So last weekend I fired up my new large BGE for the first time and I ambitiously tried ribs. They were good, but certainly did not meet my high (and naive) expectations. Thanks to the help of of many of you, specifically Tim (2fategghead), my next go around went much better. The ribs were moist and fell clean off the bone... I used the CWM technique and followed it to the last letter. My patience paid off...

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

I know, I know... my trimming will be better next time!!!

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Those look great. I love the Devil Spit. It is great on chicken. I don't even trim my spares, just the way most have done it here in NC. OT: What is up with American Golf? Come on Phil....

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    No idea...

If it keeps up, you and I should go to Q School.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well if the were really 'fall off the bone', they were overdone. Try pulling them earlier.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Adam, Good to see your cooks continue to improve. Keep up the good work. They are great left overs as well. ;)
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Tasty looking ribs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I disagree...to each his/her own...we like falling off the bone... ;):)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I agree and disagree. I guess any meat that falls apart would be considered over done as you've passed the temp at which it's officially "done" or "safe to eat". I think when someone hears that their meat is "overdone" it makes one feel like they have done something wrong, or screwed up their cook. As Vidalia said "to each his own", would best sum it up. We like our ribs here at the house to "fall off the bone" as does everyone else that walks through these doors. When we compete of course, we have to cook to KCBS standards which keep us from making them fall off the bone. When I judge, they have to be grossly falling off the bone to where I can't pick them up before I give a lower score. Just my two cents. ;):):)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Nice ribs Adam. That slab on the top left of the first pic looks great. You want the meat to pull back and expose the ends of the bones an inch or so, just like those did.