Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First Time Brisket

RaleighGuyRaleighGuy Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Woke up Saturday morning and decided I wanted to do a brisket for the first time. Knowing I was short on time, I just bought a flat. It still had a decent amount of fat.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjMtMjAxMTA3MTYtMTAzMy5qcGc.jpg

Got it on at 10:30am with mostly hickory and a little bit of mesquite. Egg was 275 dome. Had some honey-to-do's, so I just left it alone until 5:30. Much to my surprise, at 5:30 the thermometer read 205, so I immediately pulled it and wrapped it.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjQtMjAxMTA3MTYtMTczNC5qcGc.jpg

Made some ABT's afterwards.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjUtMjAxMTA3MTYtMTkwMS5qcGc.jpg

Brisket after cutting.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjgtMjAxMTA3MTYtMjAzOC5qcGc.jpg

All in all, I thought it was a pretty successful cook considering I have never cooked a brisket before in my life. Always been a little intimidated. It was a tad on the dry side, but it just makes me want to do another.The bark turned out great, and the meat had excellent flavor. Lessons learned: 1. I need to invest in some type of pit monitoring equipment (I'm a cheapscape,just ask my wife, but really want an ET-732 or the grand stoker) 2.Meat cooked less than perfect on the egg is still better than most restaurants.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary-it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

Comments