Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping top vent from moving?

friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I spend considerable time making sure that I have my XL good and stable at my required temperature. But, let's say that I have a cook that requires some regular lid opening .. how do you keep the top vent from closing shut or opening more? There's been several times I've forgot to check and then found that it's way off the mark and now I'm fighting the temp.

What's the secret to keeping the top vent stable during periodic opening and closing of the lid?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Set the daisy wheel on the egg so that the pivot screw is to the front of the egg ;)
  • friscotex
    That's what I usually do, but I find that the vent still closes on me. Maybe I need to be extra careful about when I close it? Thought there might be some other trick.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    keep the screw that hold the daisy petal wheel facing the dome handle.

or just don't use a DFMT. I don't (except for lo n slo cooks).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• friscotex
    You don't use the wheel? All your adjustments with the bottom vent? That's a good idea. Works pretty well?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Also try to modify your recipe so you do not open it so much. Your temp will remain more stable and the "magic" of the Egg will keep your food juicy without multiple bastings.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Follow the instructions on the Naked Whiz site that Morro Bay Rich sent you.
    With an imaginary line through the pivot screw and the wheel screw parallel to the line from the handle to the hinge [the dome opening axis] the wheel top won't fall off and the settings will not move. :):)
  • Ok, this is a little tougher to write than demonstrate.

What you want to do is start by facing the egg with the lid down and the vented top closed. Imagine the vented top as a clock face and position the screw for the moving part of the lid at 6 o-clock (closest to you).

If you open the Egg, the vent will not move. This is because, from the other direction, the screw is at the top and gravity keeps it "hanging" in place.

As you open the top vent to various spots, rotate the entire vent top so that the screw is at "6 o'clock" in relation to the moving part of the vented top. Open the egg and gravity will keep it in place.

I keep the ash tool handy to move the vented top by pulling/dragging one of the tabs for the handle.

[ Update-- the link to Naked Whiz is great -- that was posted while I was still typing this up]
  • Carolina Q
    works fine. don't remember the last time i used it, except for 250° cooks. would probably work there too.

before my time, but as I understand it, eggs didn't originally come with dfmts anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• friscotex
    Thanks everybody. Very helpful.
  • snook76
    snook76 Posts: 4
    What is a DFMT?
  • Carolina Q
    the cast iron thing on top. "dual function metal top."

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I never use it on any of the 3 eggs unless I am under 300. And not under 300 90% of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.