Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mini-Gasket

PFSmithPFSmith Posts: 34
edited 4:40AM in EggHead Forum
While grilling a rib-eye this afternoon, the top and bottom gasket on my Mini (about 4 months old) both came off. I just took them off and finished my cook.

My questions are two: (1) do I need to even replace it? and (2) if I replace it, is Nomex the best option?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, and I don't want to start anything, but was wondering if, because of the size of the mini, there is a preference for nomex, Rutland, or something else.

Thanks in advance.

Pat
·

Comments

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Email BGE customer service for a Nomex non-adhesive Nomex gasket:

customer-support@biggreenegg.com
    ·
  • BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    I completely burnt off the gasket on my Mini several years ago, and it works well without one, even for low (less than 250ish) cooks. BUT!. the mating surfaces of my Mini are a perfect match, after I re-adjusted the hinge. It even passes the dollar bill test all the way around.

If your's works without the gasket, and you choose not to replace it, be very careful when you close the lid. Ceramic to ceramic doesn't provide much of a forgiving cushion.

BOB
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,312
    just a personal opinion here OK? A mini is a great little egg, but it has certain limitations due to size - meaning amount of lump it can hold, height from the burning lump etc. It's not an egg for a low and slow, but more of a "let's get this meal cooked" so a gasket is optional IMO.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • brisket30brisket30 Posts: 122
    If for nothing else the cushion is definitely needed. My factory gasket lasted 4 years and still not wore out.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,187
    If you decide to go with a gasket, I really like the Rutland (using Permatex Ultra Copper as an adhesive. I used item # 91N, 1/4" x 5'16" ROPE. Perfect fit with no stretching or compressing.

Here's my mini...

5114587645_a28e72e2fe_b.jpg

It hasn't aged as well as the one on my large, but it still works.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Looks good n tight
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    No gasket here on the mini.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • This nomex has been on 10-12 months on my mini. It has held up well, but I use two fire rings 90% of the time, so it never really gets blasted with heat.

f69bc663.jpg

EDIT: I found a pic when it was brand new:

0dc23c4a.jpg

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I had the same thing happen on my mini. I replaced with a nomex...had to trim the gasket because it was really wide on the lip of the Egg. I like the gaskets there. Not necessarily for air tightness, but I can't stand the sound of two naked pieces of ceramic clanking together......I know, I know...just let it go.
    ·