Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good problem to have: Mini or Small

Options

Comments

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    Great news for you! :laugh: I have a small and a mini. If I'm cooking for myself, I prefer the mini. If it's me and a guest or 2, I use the small. The small is not too heavy to travel with and is more versatile in my opinion. You can do a low and slow on a small, not easily done on a mini. I'd buy the small now, then next purchase, go with the mini.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    When you get a green light to purchase something, you spend the most you are allowed to spend. Then it will be easier to buy the less expensive item later. I have been married 13 years, and this is probably the most important lesson I have learned.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Wow, those are beautiful words and tough to decide between a Mini now or potentially a Small later. How many people would you be cooking for on a typical camping trip? If the number is greater than 2 you'd likely be better off working on that approval for a Small and plan that next camping trip for like next weekend :lol:
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    We were camping last month. I mentioned to my wife that there was a Med on Craigslist locally. To my surprise, she said that I should have bought it for camping. She said to check if it was still for sale when we got home and if it is sold then it wasn't meant to be.

It was sold, but a couple weeks later a member on here said that they were selling a med. We picked it up yesterday. I guess it was meant to be.

The Med is still a bit heavy to move, but it has the same vent as my Lg. I can use the same adapter for my DigiQ.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    The Mini is a great grilling machine. ;)

If you can't get the green light for the small right now, get the Mini while yoou can. Then, you can always try to cook more than it will hold and do some convincing that the Small would be more convenient. That way, you'll get BOTH. :laugh:

BOB
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    That's pretty much what I was going to suggest. Get the mini now, while you have permission. After a few trips, you may find a few "this is going to be tight on space" cooks to work in there, then maybe a failed attempt to do a slow cook will happen, that could've worked out with a small... ;)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Len D
    Len D Posts: 3
    Options
    E-ville Egg wrote:
    she is ready to go buy a mini today but I am thinking if I hold out for one more camping trip I can convince her a small is the better option.

Here is my camping experience with a mini and my motor home. After tasting the Big Green Egg kool-aid, I originally was thinking about getting a small egg for accompanying my wife and I in a motor home. After considering the weight, height, and portability of the small, we purchased a mini earlier this year. Our style of rv use is to only stay up to a week at a campground and then move on to a different location. Packing up an egg and putting it into one of the side compartments by myself means that there is always some risk of damage to me and/or the egg and this outweighed the potential advantage of the larger cooking surface of the small.

As there are just the two of us in the motor home, we have developed a series of recipes for chicken, flank steak, pork roast, grilled vegetables (romaine lettuce, zucchini, corn on the cob)in addition to the usual grilled items. There is generally enough cooked meat to provide tasty left over sandwiches the following day.

I have also done a couple of small pulled pork with reasonable success but the individual pizzas still require more experimentation.

If storage and portability of the egg is not an issue for you, or, you need to have a larger cooking area to accommodate additional guests, then a small would be more ideal. If your camping is more like mine, you can still cook up some tasty food on a mini.

Len