Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Thermometer Question

snook76snook76 Posts: 4
edited 12:30PM in EggHead Forum
Hello - I'm new to the BGE and to the forum. I cooked on the egg for the first time and everything went well - although it took me a while to a) get the fire started and b)get the temperature right. Anyhow, it really does make some good food.

I have a question about the thermometer. It doesn't appear to be working after the first cook. This morning the temperature was reading 0 degree farenheit - where as before it would sit at room temperature. I checked the calibration before my first cook (with boiling water) and it performed spot on but now seems to have gone wrong.

Is there some trick to these things? anyway that I can get this fixed or am I stuck with having to get a new one?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 281
    check calibration again in boiling water, if off small pliers on the screw on the back of the thermo then turning will move the dial to the correct position. How old is your egg? mine has a newer tel-tru thermometer and it starts at 150, so it always reads the same unless cooking.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • I have a new egg as of Father's Day, and I did calibrate my thermometer also. I have experienced same thing you did--once or twice on start up, the thermometer was not rising during startup. My needle was stuck, I could open the lid and shut it with firmly, or just flick thermometer face, and it cured it. I do note I have never overheated it--have not gone over 700 to 750 so far.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,798
    From what I've heard and read, the thermometers never read correctly "at room temperature", I know mine doesn't. But once you get up your egg up to temp, it should be fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• snook76snook76 Posts: 4
    Thanks. I checked the calibration again this morning - when I noticed the problem and in boiling water it didn't even come close to reaching the correct temperature. I'm not sure what would've caused it, seems strange to me. I didn't overheat it. I think the BGE got to about 650 last night while I was letting it heat up.

I'll try the few things mentioned tonight.
    In that case, I'd take it back to where you purchased the egg, explain the situation, and ask for a replacement. I'm sure if you tell them that you've tested it and it appears faulty, they'll replace it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Don't get too excited. This type thermometer does not act linearly over the entire range of the dial. The only thing that matters is that it is close to linear at cooking temps.
  • DnormanDnorman Posts: 117
    One thing to check is to make sure the probe isnt bent. If it is even chust a little bit it can read wrong. I know the dealers are careful but stuff happens, and things get dammaged.
  • TL A2TL A2 Posts: 3
    My egg is 3 weeks old and I have a similar issue. I may be stupid or technically challenged, I can not get the Thermometer out of the dome. Is there a trick to getting the clamp off?
    TL A2 wrote:
    Is there a trick to getting the clamp off?

Pinch it together first, then pull it off.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,654
    yep, then put the clip into the drawer you keep all the useless things in
    fishlessman wrote:
    yep, then put the clip into the drawer you keep all the useless things in

Packerland, Wisconsin