Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sausage Try: Good but......

brisket30
brisket30 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First Blanched it in a beer bath, then removed casing.

2011-07-16154147.jpg

Then on the egg at 250 indirect until 180 degrees. Used dizzy pig rub and mesquite chips.

2011-07-17135742.jpg

Here a pic of my setup just for fun

2011-07-17135804.jpg

Its no Arthur Bryant's but it was still good. Good thing is I get to keel trying. Here is the final product.

2011-07-17172825.jpg

No smoke either and not sure why?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ben, Pass up the blanching. Just smoke it around 250 for a few hours till it hits temp. Pretty sure you'll dig it then.
    Good post.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • brisket30
    I poached it because it was true raw sausage and I didn't want to risk growing bacteria since I was cooking it low and slow. I had good smoke flavor but no smoke ring? It was just pork sausage and I am thinking the stuff Kansas City BBQ's use is something different. It was good I was just expecting a different taste.
  • cookn biker
    Again, I would bypass blanching it. Alot of us cook pork products a 250ish. It will not be in the danger zone long enough to cause harm. You will then see the smoke ring and flavor that you are looking for.
    Happy cooking.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • brisket30
    I will try it again, What internal temp do you think is good?
  • cookn biker
    Bring it up to 165. It'll knock your socks off! Please post the cook.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Cookin' Biker is spot on. No need for the blanch, especially if wanting smoked sausage. She's also spot on about the 250* cook temp. No worries. Some people do a beer/onion simmer for brats, then a quick sear, but even that is just a brief simmer, then a sear.
    Safe internal temp for sausage is 160* per the USDA. Lose the simmer, smoke your sausage. (And no disrespect, but if you choose another beer simmer, use something with a bit of flavor like an Ale or something.) You'll get it next time!
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    As long as you are not cold smoking I think you are fine putting it on raw.
  • brisket30
    I'm sure Molly will agree but its hard to beat a coor's.
  • cookn biker
    EWWWWWW sorry....NOT We call that Bear piss here. Or I do. :laugh: :laugh: but enjoy :unsure: :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    You do know that Coors is a byproduct of a gringo that drank corona, right? :blink:
  • brisket30
    Where I live its that or Busch Light unless you want to drive 40 miles to buy beer.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Yeah, that's pretty bad too. :laugh:
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Gotta agree with no poaching. Any time you boil, IMHO, you remove flavor and fat to the boiling liquid. The preservative is for smoking and not getting internal temp over 165%. As soon as you get it over 170, it starts cooking and you loss fat and bacteria is killed.
    Raw pork sausage is OK, just smoke it around 150 as long as you'd like, than remove the smoke and cook it to internal over 170. I'm sure the taste will be much better and meat moister.
    Good luck.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Kudos for the attempt. Keep trying and you will get there. Home made sausage is something I want to try.

How is coors like canoeing?

Both are pretty damn close to water! :laugh:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Since a smoke ring is formed from the reaction btwn the smoke and the amino acids in the meat, and common thought is that this occurs up to about 140* external temp.
    Many people advocate putting your meat cold as possible into the low temp smoke (even to the point of placing ribs, etc. briefly (10-15 min) into the freezer just prior to going on the grill!

Cold, seasoned meat onto 250* (dome) stabilized Egg. Cook to 160* internal. Should be awesome! :woohoo:
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    It always makes me cringe a little when I see people "parboiling" brats/sausage and the like. I can only guess this ugly practice comes from parents/grandparents in the early 1900's and before who were deathly afraid of trichinosis! :ohmy:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Actually, I think trichinosis is virtually nonexistent in commercially available pork. Wild pig and small farm-raised ones might be somewhat at risk.
    Now I understand trich. is killed at 137*, I usual pull most pork at 135-137* internal and let it drift a little higher during the rest.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Actually, I think trichinosis is virtually nonexistent in commercially available pork. Wild pig and small farm-raised ones might be somewhat at risk.
    Now I understand trich. is killed at 137*, I usual pull most pork at 135-137* internal and let it drift a little higher during the rest.

Yes, exactly my point. It makes no sense to parboil meats these days. Just cook them to the required temp and everything will be fine. B)
    Packerland, Wisconsin