Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Question

snook76
snook76 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello - I'm new to the BGE and to the forum. I cooked on the egg for the first time and everything went well - although it took me a while to a) get the fire started and b)get the temperature right. Anyhow, it really does make some good food.

I have a question about the thermometer. It doesn't appear to be working after the first cook. This morning the temperature was reading 0 degree farenheit - where as before it would sit at room temperature. I checked the calibration before my first cook (with boiling water) and it performed spot on but now seems to have gone wrong.

Is there some trick to these things? anyway that I can get this fixed or am I stuck with having to get a new one?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    check calibration again in boiling water, if off small pliers on the screw on the back of the thermo then turning will move the dial to the correct position. How old is your egg? mine has a newer tel-tru thermometer and it starts at 150, so it always reads the same unless cooking.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • I have a new egg as of Father's Day, and I did calibrate my thermometer also. I have experienced same thing you did--once or twice on start up, the thermometer was not rising during startup. My needle was stuck, I could open the lid and shut it with firmly, or just flick thermometer face, and it cured it. I do note I have never overheated it--have not gone over 700 to 750 so far.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    From what I've heard and read, the thermometers never read correctly "at room temperature", I know mine doesn't. But once you get up your egg up to temp, it should be fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• snook76
    snook76 Posts: 4
    Thanks. I checked the calibration again this morning - when I noticed the problem and in boiling water it didn't even come close to reaching the correct temperature. I'm not sure what would've caused it, seems strange to me. I didn't overheat it. I think the BGE got to about 650 last night while I was letting it heat up.

I'll try the few things mentioned tonight.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    In that case, I'd take it back to where you purchased the egg, explain the situation, and ask for a replacement. I'm sure if you tell them that you've tested it and it appears faulty, they'll replace it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Don't get too excited. This type thermometer does not act linearly over the entire range of the dial. The only thing that matters is that it is close to linear at cooking temps.
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    One thing to check is to make sure the probe isnt bent. If it is even chust a little bit it can read wrong. I know the dealers are careful but stuff happens, and things get dammaged.
  • TL A2
    TL A2 Posts: 3
    My egg is 3 weeks old and I have a similar issue. I may be stupid or technically challenged, I can not get the Thermometer out of the dome. Is there a trick to getting the clamp off?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    TL A2 wrote:
    Is there a trick to getting the clamp off?

Pinch it together first, then pull it off.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    yep, then put the clip into the drawer you keep all the useless things in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    fishlessman wrote:
    yep, then put the clip into the drawer you keep all the useless things in

:laugh:
    Packerland, Wisconsin