Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Gasket

Options
PFSmith
PFSmith Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While grilling a rib-eye this afternoon, the top and bottom gasket on my Mini (about 4 months old) both came off. I just took them off and finished my cook.

My questions are two: (1) do I need to even replace it? and (2) if I replace it, is Nomex the best option?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, and I don't want to start anything, but was wondering if, because of the size of the mini, there is a preference for nomex, Rutland, or something else.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Email BGE customer service for a Nomex non-adhesive Nomex gasket:

customer-support@biggreenegg.com
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    I completely burnt off the gasket on my Mini several years ago, and it works well without one, even for low (less than 250ish) cooks. BUT!. the mating surfaces of my Mini are a perfect match, after I re-adjusted the hinge. It even passes the dollar bill test all the way around.

If your's works without the gasket, and you choose not to replace it, be very careful when you close the lid. Ceramic to ceramic doesn't provide much of a forgiving cushion.

BOB
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    just a personal opinion here OK? A mini is a great little egg, but it has certain limitations due to size - meaning amount of lump it can hold, height from the burning lump etc. It's not an egg for a low and slow, but more of a "let's get this meal cooked" so a gasket is optional IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    If for nothing else the cushion is definitely needed. My factory gasket lasted 4 years and still not wore out.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you decide to go with a gasket, I really like the Rutland (using Permatex Ultra Copper as an adhesive. I used item # 91N, 1/4" x 5'16" ROPE. Perfect fit with no stretching or compressing.

Here's my mini...

5114587645_a28e72e2fe_b.jpg

It hasn't aged as well as the one on my large, but it still works.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• oldfishinglure
    Options
    Looks good n tight
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No gasket here on the mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This nomex has been on 10-12 months on my mini. It has held up well, but I use two fire rings 90% of the time, so it never really gets blasted with heat.

f69bc663.jpg

EDIT: I found a pic when it was brand new:

0dc23c4a.jpg
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I had the same thing happen on my mini. I replaced with a nomex...had to trim the gasket because it was really wide on the lip of the Egg. I like the gaskets there. Not necessarily for air tightness, but I can't stand the sound of two naked pieces of ceramic clanking together......I know, I know...just let it go.