Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Beef Brisket

Options
Medic72072
Medic72072 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to smoke a brisket for the first time on my egg this week. I've had the egg for almost a week and a half and am still learning the ropes. What temp and how long per pound should I cook the brisket? Any other advice would be welcome! Thank you my fellow Egg Heads!

Comments

• brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    Brisket should be around 190 and then do the probe or fork test. A fork should spin easy and a probe should go in and out with no resistance. Normally its 1.5 to 2 he's per pound. I cook mine at 225 to 250 dome temp. I put a rub on it the day before and wrap in plastic wrap in the fridge. If it gets done early can double wrap with foil and towel then place in a cooler for a few hours. The only down side to that is the bark will soften. Please post pics of the cook.
  • Medic72072
    Medic72072 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you. I am trying decide if I want to do the whole brisket or just the flat top. I can get it either way I want from the butcher I go to. I was thinking by just doing the flat top it wouldn't take as long, but if i smoke the entire brisket i can just smoke it all night. I will post pics when i get it done.
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've only done the point normally around 6 pounds or so. Not sure I would sleep with an overnight cook
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    A week ago I cooked my first brisket, a flat, 4.6 lbs held 230 for most of the cook, until near the end when I raised closer to 300. Brisket took 2.6 hours per lb. It turned out pretty good, great flavor (third eye's rub), but could have been a bit more tender. I suggest allow 2,5 hrs/lb then if done sooner you can let er rest in foil in a cooler.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    230 was grid temp, I used the auber pit controller.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN