Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 whole chickens setup on large

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IT WORKED !! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Setup for cooking 3 whole chickens - elevated - on a large Egg.

Spider in place (hanging down) with small BGE pizza stone on the spider.

The adjustable rig (AR) was placed with a cut and molded large foil pan on an oval grid on the lowest notch on the AR.
Pic for things to this point:
IMG_2946.jpg
Then put small round grid on the AR's highest notch with an upright roaster in the center. I tested this with the raw chickens (wrapped in plastic) to make sure the dome would not touch (it did touch when I tried it on the top of the AR).
IMG_2947.jpg
Here it is after the egg was stabilized at 450* for 30-40 min. (I didn't think the VOC's would ever quit burning) :ohmy: The chickens were in place with the veggies underneath. Note I had to 'corral' them up to keep them from falling over. ;)
IMG_2948.jpg
Here are the veggies (needing stirring), so lifted the chickens to the counter (tricky). I had to take the veggies off about 20 min. before the chicken were done so they wouldn't burn.
IMG_2949.jpg
With the AR and good gloves - it was easy to lift the whole thing off and replace it when done stirring:
IMG_2950.jpg
Here are the chickens -180* internal on the thighs - ready for the foiled-covered rest.
IMG_2951.jpg
Crispy skin, juicy inside - perfect. It took about 60 minutes - temp actually stayed closer to 400* even with occasional pokes to open the grate holes of ash. Hard to maintain the high temp with so much obstruction to the airflow (pizza stone, wide, large veggie pan, etc.).
Sorry not to have any finished pics, but with a large, hungry crowd.... well, you know... :whistle:;) :laugh:

Thanks for all the help preparing for this - this Forum is GREAT ! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments