Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Ceramic grill from Acedemy

Options
bill_b
bill_b Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new grill is great. It is a clone of the BGE. It cooks wonderfully, but to shut off the vents to save the lump does not work unless I spray alot of water in the egg. I am adding rutland gasket to the lower vent and to the daisy wheel vent. I've tried the dollar bill test to check dome gasket. How long should it take for lump to cool off with both vents closed. This is my first post!

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you have an air leak your fire will not go out by itself, but it sounds like you have already discovered that.
    It depends on the size of the fire and how hot you were cooking, but once the fire is out it can take hours for the egg to cool down.
    I'm not sure if that answered your question.

FYI, I would never, never pour water in one of my eggs!! :(
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Capt. Frank is right on. If your egg is hot and the lump is dying out but not actually out and you open it up the fire lump will probably start up again as it get more oxygen.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    So you got that at Costco?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Stopping the fire is physics-no fuel (lump) or no air or some combination of either. Since you accelerated the no fuel with water, then you need to find the air leaks when you shut down the clone...or perhaps it's almost a clone as my experience is such that when you want to stop the fire and you shut it down, it stops!
    Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bill_b
    Options
    I bought the kamado egg clone at Acadamy in Houston for $499. It comes with a very nice stand with large wheels. But of course after 1 year it will be hard to find parts. Outside everything looks powder coated which is good, and I bought a cover to keep the hinge springs from rusting. The grill grid is 18 1/2 inches in diameter. Support is the main issue.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I found this interesting. It is part of the description of the cooker on Academy's web site.

Important Product and Safety Information
    •Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    •This product is currently not available for purchase by customers in the State of California.

I wonder why other ceramic cookers cannot be shipped to or sold in California?

Spring "This Old World Confuses Me Sometimes More Than Others" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Ohhhhh! It just hit me... Academy does not ship to or sell it in California. My bad!

Spring "Oooops Again" Chicken
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    But it comes with a lifetime warranty right?
  • egguitarist
    Options
    I'm in Houston. Have seen clones a t Academy and home depot lowe's etc. The egg takes a while to cool down esp if you were above 4-500
  • bill_b
    Options
    The Kamado grill from Academy only comes with a 1 year warranty, thus getting parts may be difficult. There is a web site that has customer service. But to keep hardware in better shape I cover it to help prevent rust on springs etc.

How do you tell if there are air leaks around lower vent which makes it hard to shut down the egg and stop from wasting all the lump?
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    After you are done cooking. Shut both the bottom and top vents completely. Smoke will begin to leak out. This will point to where the issues are.

Good luck.
  • bill_b
    Options
    Eureka ! The new Rutland gasket around daiy wheel and lower vent works fine. No longer does all my lump continue to burn up after shuting down the egg.

Why doesn't the daisy wheel come with a high temp gasket?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I guess you'd have to ask the maker. Eggs come with an ceramic rain cap that snuffs the fire. The daisy wheel comes off for maximum airflow (and to use the rain cap) so you don't want it stuck on tight with a gasket necessarily.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bill_b
    Options
    The gasket on my daisy wheel is now glued to the inside of the steel daisy wheel, one one side only. It is not glued to outside of egg . Gravity holds the daisy wheel gasket tight. Thanks for the tip about ceramic top which has a better air seal.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Apologize in adavance. It AIN'T no BGE. It AIN'T got no lifetime warranty. It IS a substandard COPY. You saved a few $$$$ bucks, but got took. Might work out for you, don't know. :unsure: :unsure:
  • bill_b
    Options
    This reminds me of a Harley Davidson event where I drove up on as honda Goldwing\....