Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem and advice - Chicken and Steak.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1- Problem[p]I cooked my first whole chicken on my BGE at approx. 275 for 2 hours.[p]It was by far the juiciest chicken I have ever made. The problem is it had an overwhelming "smoke" flavour. It was so smoky, my wife and kids would not eat it.
I used BGE charcoal, the turkey holder and a drip plate, right on the grill.
I’ve cooked tenderloins, steaks, ribs and lamb and not had this effect or flavour.[p]Help?[p]2- Advice[p]I have 3 angus rib steaks, 2 inches thick (they look like 3 roasts). I’ve never cooked steaks this thick before. I was going to put them on @ 700 for 2 minutes each side, then drop the BGE down to 350 and cook for 10 minutes….will this be enough for medium rare?[p]Thank you in advance.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    The Hatchling,[p]were you using fresh lump when you did the chicken? the only time i've run into problems with too much smoke is with fresh lump (and mesquite chunks-just won't use it anymore). [p]as far as the steaks go, 10 minutes may not be long enough. the actual temp really depends on what the temp of the steak when you pull it and the temp of the meat before you put it on plays a big role. I been using an instant read lately to help on when the steaks are done.

• Hatchling
    Hatchling Posts: 32
    Options
    eggor,[p]I was using the stuff that comes in the BGE bag? Is that fresh lump? If so, what are my alternatives?[p]Thank you.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Hatchling,[p]ok, maybe we need to come up with a new term.lol [p]by 'fresh' i mean stuff fresh out of the bag that hasn't had a chance to clean up a little, you know kinda like if you take your shoes off and take a good sniff, its pretty powerfull stuff. think of lump sort of the same way, but the only way to for the lump to do that is to let it burn off the nasties. you'll really notice a big differance if it has a chance to air its dirty laundry, so to speak.[p]whoooo started to sound like stump, glad i caught myself

• EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Options
    The Hatchling,
    I don't use the BGE lump very much because of the flavor it enhances the food with. Don't know where your located but try some other brands to see what you like the best. All the South American lump I've used has very little to no flavor added to the food. If I want smoke flavor I have to add wood chips or chunks. As far as your steaks go 10 min may not be quite long enough for 2" thick steaks. You can use a remote thermo or give them the poke test. No resistance rare, slight resistance med. rare and so on. Just don't over do them. You can always put them back on. Have fun.

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    The Hatchling,
    As to the steaks. My method has been for the last7 years to do the 1.5" to 2" thick steaks as follows. Get meat to room temp. use you favorite rub, seasoning. Get egg up to at least 700F or more. I like to get to near 1000F. With all vents open, put on the steaks, close lid, roast 4'. Carefully open dome, turn steaks, close dome and roast for another 4'. Now, close all vents and "bake" for another 4'. The results will be a very nice rare to med rare steak, with a good crust. Good Eats....Enjoy

• The Hatchling,
    I stopped using BGE charcoal for that reason. My family doesn't like the smoked flavor either. Try other charcoals. Cowboy is a good charcoal for that reason. Take a look at the naked whiz site.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    The Hatchling,[p]Chicken takes up smoke very easily, so I don't add wood chunks of any kind, but just use lump. [p]By cooking it at a lower temperature and a longer time, you're exposing it to the smoking environment for a longer period. You will get FANTASTIC results with chicken (mine are usually about 3.5 - 4.5 lbs) at 350° for about an hour. I like to butterfly them open and lay flat on a raised grid (also know as spatchcock).[p]Another thing you can do to reduce the smokey flavor is to make sure you have a really clean burning fire before putting the chicken on the cooker. Start the cooker. Stabalize at the temperature you're looking for and let it burn for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Yes, you'll use up a little charcoal, but you shouldn't have any smoke, except the really thin bluish smoke at that point. Nothing heavy or acrid at all. THEN put your chicken on. You'll find a big difference in taste by waiting until the heavy smoke burns off.[p]Tonia
    :~)