Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picanha on the Mini

chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time I've done picanha - got the idea from this thread by EggSimon from earlier this year. I asked my butcher friend on Manitoulin Island to cut me the rump cover which after a little sorting out from the charts - he did.

Skewered the meat as I had seen EggSimon do - then salted well.

5944919284_73dd04bd60.jpg
DSCN3582 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

While waiting for the egg to get up to temperature - made some margaritas.

5944365721_93cabe22d2.jpg
DSCN3579 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Apparently I continue to be a lightweight with my alcohol - as this is the picture I got of the meat cooking on the mini.

5944919334_1308497369.jpg
DSCN3583 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Apparently sobered up sufficiently to be safe cutting the meat.

5944365549_fbbe1178f0.jpg
DSCN3588 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Dessert - some wild blueberries with whipped cream. Let someone else do the picking for me - I'm willing the pay the outrageous price to avoid the work and the bears!

5944365779_d139da0b9f.jpg
DSCN3591 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That looks awesome! A clink of the snifter glass to that fine cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Awesome looking cook!

I always thought that traditional Picanha was made with tri tip... but I guess it's more a method than a cut. still made my mouth water though hehe :D
  • chocdoc
    I did a little research online to figure out the cut - seems there are some who recommend tri-tip but the majority seem to go with the rump cover. It was a lovely piece of meat - and no confusion as the the direction of the grain!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    BEAutiful. Where do you get those fancy skewers?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chocdoc
    SmokeyPitt wrote:
    BEAutiful. Where do you get those fancy skewers?

A store in Canada called Homesense. It's an offshoot of a store called Winners that sells last season's clothing and stuff - and Homesense opened to sell the housewares part.

Skewers cost me about $5.99 for 4.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Kerry, How the heck am I suppost to post my waffle cook after you? :S
    Terrific color on the sliced picanha!
    You done great lady!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rezen73
    In the US, Winners is known as "Marshalls"

In the UK, I got the same exact skewers in B&Q (which is basically Home Depot). cost me 5 quid for 4... or about $8.

Be careful though, there is rubber/plastic in them that isn't easily seen unless you look for it, and if you aren't careful (like me) then you'll ruin them in one cook ;)

My personal favorite skewers I got from a Middle Eastern market in Houston... but they aren't suitable for a lot of cooks.
  • chocdoc
    cookn biker wrote:
    Kerry, How the heck am I suppost to post my waffle cook after you? :S
    Terrific color on the sliced picanha!
    You done great lady!!

Loved your waffle cook! Nothing better than a piece of cast iron on the egg. Check out this little baby I found in a thrift store in Sudbury last week - can't wait to get it home and season it up properly to play with.

5945008852_afac82237f.jpg
    DSCN3449 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr
  • cookn biker
    Sweet! A ton of things you could cook in that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • chocdoc
    Rezen73 wrote:
    In the US, Winners is known as "Marshalls"

In the UK, I got the same exact skewers in B&Q (which is basically Home Depot). cost me 5 quid for 4... or about $8.

Be careful though, there is rubber/plastic in them that isn't easily seen unless you look for it, and if you aren't careful (like me) then you'll ruin them in one cook ;)

My personal favorite skewers I got from a Middle Eastern market in Houston... but they aren't suitable for a lot of cooks.

I'll have to see where the plastic/rubber bits are - hope they are dishwasher safe as they are in there now!

I'm looking for a good set of skewers to use in the large when I pretend it's a tandoor oven.
  • chocdoc
    cookn biker wrote:
    Sweet! A ton of things you could cook in that.

Yup - and given the weight I can use it as a husband tamer too!
  • Rezen73
    It's actually inside the handle - it "centers" the skewer through the handle.

I mistakenly put the entire skewer on the large, and wa s left with a gooey mess!

So long as you leave the handle outside of the egg, you'll be fine :D
  • chocdoc
    Rezen73 wrote:
    It's actually inside the handle - it "centers" the skewer through the handle.

I mistakenly put the entire skewer on the large, and wa s left with a gooey mess!

So long as you leave the handle outside of the egg, you'll be fine :D

All righty then - shouldn't be a problem - these ones are perfect for the mini and no way the whole skewer will fit inside. Love that I can shut the lid with them across it.

Tell me more about the skewers you got in Houston.
  • cookn biker
    Do what you gotta do.. :whistle: :woohoo: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Rezen73
    So, I was in a Middle Eastern restaurant called "House of Kabob" on Westheimer, and asked the chef/owner what kind of skewers he used. He said he got them from a local Middle Eastern restaurant supply store called "Phoenicia Market" (or something like that). Anyway, one day after work, I drove over there, and found all sorts of skewers... the ones I ended up getting were large, flat bladed skewers, about 3 feet long in length... perfect for using as tandoori skewers or using as shawarma skewers! (Quick side note: One cool thing about Phoenicia Market, if you ever make it there, is the ginormous conveyor system they have for freshly made pita bread!!! It's almost like a railroad track along the ceiling of the store for pita bread lol. Smells incredible in there when it's running...)

Definitely my favorite skewers, but only suitable for large cuts of meat... definitely not really practical for "kabobs" like we Americans are used to! Like, you couldn't put a cherry tomato on one of these bad boys... it'd be like trying to put a red gumdrop on a chef's knife. hehe
  • chocdoc
    Good to know - I've got a couple of similar markets not far from home and I should check them out for skewers. I suspect any with wooden handles would be a problem with the heat coming from the top vent.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    good job, buddy !
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that looks great!
    context is important :)
  • chocdoc
    EggSimon wrote:
    good job, buddy !

Wouldn't even have known about it without your post - so thank you so much!
  • Great looking meat! I lived in Brazil for a couple of years, and I'm dying to put some picanha on the egg. Hopefully I can find some....

For those asking about the skewers, I'm planning on buying a couple of these:

http://www.churrascoshop.com/churrasco-skewers-espetu.html

I've never bought from this store before, so I can't vouch for them, but I'm going to give it a try.