Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Red Snapper & Mediterranean Sea Bass (Branzino)

RGBHVRGBHV Posts: 1,317
edited 1:31PM in EggHead Forum
I don't mind fish, but I'm not a huge fish eater. More of a steak and potato kind of guy.

We've been trying different cooks for a party next weekend. Todays cook was a whole Red Snapper and whole Mediterranean Sea Bass (Branzino).

The fish was stuff with butter, fresh herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary, dill, garlic) and some lemon. I rolled the fish in some banana leaves and cooked at 350 for about 15 minutes.

We all thought the fish was great - the sea bass very mild very few bones, the red snapper had more flavour and a lot of bones.

We've decided that this will be great for a small dinner party but (in our case) not very appropriate for a large party.

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02749.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02753.jpg

Thanks for watching..

Michael

Comments

• Rezen73Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Looks good! Good idea with the banana leaves... almost like "en papillote"!
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    That looks wonderful!
  • Banana leaves a great idea, I have done same thing with cabbage leaves. Bones-have you thought about filleting?
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,432
    That's a cool way to cook a fish, in a banana leaf jacket. Nice!
  • RGBHVRGBHV Posts: 1,317
    We were thinking about displaying the whole fish on banana leaves for our party.
    We're a little concerned about alcohol and the bones not mixing too well

Filleting would be great but we'd lose the effect.

I'm sure we'll do it in the future in a more controlled environment.

Michael
  • RGBHVRGBHV Posts: 1,317
    It was great because it kept the fish together so you didn't have to worry about the skin sticking to the grill, etc. And it was much easier to pick everything off the grill in one piece.

I'd do it again.

Michael