Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

house fried rice

outrageous
outrageous Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
love to use leftovers and add other things to make house fried rice...

cooked dry rice, shrimp, onions, peas, carrots, pork, chicken and eggs

2011-07-16_17-30-58_504.jpg

onions, carrots and peas getting happy

2011-07-16_17-39-50_269.jpg

add the shrimp

2011-07-16_17-45-59_920.jpg

almost ready

2011-07-16_17-51-17_438.jpg

plated
2011-07-16_17-54-51_715.jpg

not a bad sat. night meal

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    that looks really good! love fried rice, though I usually do it with pork. may have to try the shrimp.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Looks yummy! Scrambled eggs are good in there too ;)
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Looks awesome! Love fried rice!!

I need to get a wok for my large! I *just* got my large spider this past Thursday.

Did you put any egg or shoyu in the fried rice?
  • outrageous
    yes, always put two eggs in before adding rice

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've never had any luck trying to fry already-cooked rice; stir-frying the raw rice in a bit of oil until toasted, and then cooking in boiling water, always works better for me.
    Any suggestions? (that looks delicious, by the way!)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• outrageous
    i was told many years ago, the key to fried rice is to have dry rice.. i cook rice in rice cooker, then put in frig to dry it out...lot of people use day old rice out of frig....

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    My wife usually makes the fried rice in our house... and she swears it's the type of rice you use.

She only uses sushi ("sticky") rice (Japonica) and only if it's at least a day old. Never fresh.

I've tried with basmati or jasmine rice, and while serviceable, it's never as good as hers.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Okay, the real key to good fried rice is cook it early in the day, so it cools down completely. Then it cooks up beautifuly with whatever you want to add.

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Would you care to share that recipe? Looks great!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've always tried frying it right out of the rice cooker, guess that's what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the advice, folks! :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure