Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad- Cook -Need advice

Wings
Wings Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried the "Smoked Boneless Chuck Roast" recipe on this forum. Cooked indirect at dome temp of 200 for about 4 hrs until internal temp was about 155.

The roast (about 2.5 lbs) was put on inverted rib rack over a drip pan.

Turned out very tough. Not sure what I could have done differently. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I think most folks smoke em a while then finish them in a braising liquid.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=431
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Chuck roasts will most likely be tough when pulled at 155F, unless they have been at that temperature for maybe 12 hours (I'm experimenting with something similar as I write.) The tough collagen breaks down very slowly until the meat hits 160. For a tender chuck, 180+ is good, and 195 even better. Because that temp may dry out the roast, as Hoss mentions, foiling improves the results by encasing the meat in its own steaming juices.

For the last year at least, there have been lots of recommendation to cook to temperature, not time. There are too many variables to be sure a particular time and cooking temperature alone will result in good results. The temperature of the meat is much more important. So, something like "cook at 200 for 4 hours, or until the temperatures is 'x' is probably a better way to put it.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Sometimes meat is just tough! You only cooked it to 155, which is really just well done -- it did not go through the the temp that converts the fat and collagen to the liquids that tenderize the meat.

Pulling at 155 and finishing in a braise would have worked and would leaving it on to 190-200.

On the other hand if you want to roast tender meat, buy a better cut.
  • Wings
    I was using the recommended temps for beef, which is why I pulled it at 155. I get confused with cooking past the recommended temps for some reason.

I believe you are suggesting waiting till about 190 or 200 internal to pull ?
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    tougher cuts need to go to 190+ for the meat to be tender.
    context is important :)
  • gdenby
  • gdenby
    Say you have a really tender piece of steak, and you are certain it is clean. It is perfectly O.K. to chop it up, and eat it raw with some garlic and salt. Cooked to 75F. But, it will taste even better if it is seared, browning the outside. Cooked to maybe 120F.

If you sear many other cuts, tho' the outside will be most tasty, the piece can be like chewing leather.

If you cook on an Egg, you can hold something tough like a chuck long enough that the collagen is melted into gelatin. The result is a succulent and savory meal. It needs to get to the 190 range to do this.

You might also cook the meat at a much lower temperature in a water bath, which is what I am doing. I will take my chuck out with an internal temperature of about 135. But having spent 48 hours at that temp, it should be (I hope) good and tender. Then I will toss it into the Egg at lava temps, and get enough browning in just a few minute. The internal temp may be just 140.
  • Tom,

Follow this process and you will be over the moon with it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=431

In fact I would put it back on the egg and try to replicate stage 2 and 3 - simply needs to cook more to break it down.

Good luck with it.
  • Wings
    OK. Thanks. I will try bring it it all the way up to 190+ on my next Chuck Roast Cook.

Thanks for all the tips
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    After pulling at 155, if you would have put it in the refrigerator over night and sliced it thin for sandwiches, it would probably have been excellent. I would probably use an eye of round for that.
  • Wings
    I did put it in a cooler on ice in tin foil for 1/2 hour. Just was not done enough, I guess.