Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Epic FAIL

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put first brisket on yesterday at 6:00. Left to go to a friends and returned to see the temp had jumped to 300 deg.

After getting it to settle down by adjusting the lower vent. Woke up at 2:30am and it had cooled to 100 so I reopened the vent and when I woke up at 6:00 am temp was back up to 300 deg.

I placed 6-7 hickory chips on the egg.

I wrapped in towel and let rest from 7:00 to 12 in a cooler.

Just cut it open and while moist, the internal meat is deep red and isn't grey at all. Internal temp when I took it off this morning was 195-200.

Not only was the cook incorrect, but the rub I made was SALTY. Must have misread the ingredients because it is unbearably salty.

Anyone have suggestions for what went wrong with this cook? I hear brisket soaks up smoke so I'm wondering in I oversmoked it.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Get your egg stable before leaving it.

Sounds like you over corrected the vent setting on every change. First too hot, then choked down, too cool, readjusted too hot again... and so on.

When you have to correct a temperature only change one vent at a time and then wait. Unless you are very comfortable with vent settings changing both vents at one time will usually get you into trouble a few hours later.

This link may be of value to you.
    [url][/url]http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746823&catid=1

No matter what the heat settings if the brisket was 195°-200° it should have been done. The taste and texture may well have been a different story.

With brisket and butt's make sure the meat is tender by probing or using the fork method. If using a probe easy in and no pull when removing the probe.

The rub situation, not a lot can be said here. If you are trying a rub you haven't used before than make a test cook with a steak or piece of chicken to see if you like it - then follow the mixing instructions. :)

GG
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    As far as the rub goes, I don't know what recipe you used, but allot of recipes say to use either Kosher or Sea Salt. There's a big difference between the two, you need half the sea salt when compared to Kosher.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    is it possible that what you have is a pastrami or corned beef?

With the deep red colour, and the over salty flavour, it sounds as though you may have picked up a corned beef?
    context is important :)
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Any reason the meat would be a deep red in color? It was not dried out at all. The previous two times I've made brisket on a kettle the middle was grey with a nice smoke ring. This one was deep red but very moist. Will the smoke alter the color?

I think grandpasgrub is right...I did not wait to stabilize temp before I put on brisket and that threw my game off. Practice males perfect!!

The brisket I bought was vacuum sealed and had a thick red good (probably preservative) that i poured out when it opened. I think this may have something to do with the color and salt.

People at the BBQ I'm at are eating it. They claim it's good but I've had good brisket and this ain't it.

Guess ones hardest critic is oneself.

Thanks for the feedback all!
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Ahhh. The package DID say corned beef!!! I didn't know there was a difference!
  • BillB2002
    BillB2002 Posts: 22
    Options
    Knowing that it was a corned beef (and thus a pastrami after you cooked it), is it still horrible?
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Haha. Well...it doesn't rise to the level
    Of an epic fail but it still wasn't as good as regular brisket.

My dad is eating it like sweet manna from heaven. :laugh:

Thanks for the help guys!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    The corned beef is a brisket that has been cured. When you buy it, you'll want to soak it water to draw out the salt. I've soaked them for 24 hours, changing the water ever 5-6 hours or so.

slice it thin... and stack it high on rye with mustard :)
    context is important :)
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks LDD! Sandwhiches sound good!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Soak corned beef even longer, 48 hours with rinses, then cover them with pastrami spices, and smoke. Slice thin, steam briefly, and you will have deli-worthy sandwich makings.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Curing salt will turn meat red, by chance did you pick up a corned brisket, usually just the flat????

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I should have read LDD's post before my response above...

You cooked pastrami...

If you didn't do a good rise with maybe a couple of water dumps the meat would most certainly would have been very salty. I will usually rinse for 2 to 3 hours with a dump or two, then cook the pastrami. Your done temperature may have been too high for a pastrami cook.

Corned beef brisket (pastrami)
    pastramiwet2.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you want something good grab some ground beef and make a pastrami burger.

pastrami-burger.jpg

Fantastic eats.

GG
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great detective work-sometimes the obvious is the answer!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.