Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Filet mignon

Options
Edwin
Edwin Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm bran new to my Big Green Egg. I'm cooking steaks for the first time tonight. I've got 15 bacon wrapped filet mignons I'm trying to cook. Please help with what temperature and the best way to cook them. I've got several coming over for dinner and wanting them to be great!

Comments

• rdhj
    rdhj Posts: 10
    Options
    Edwin,

I too am new to this forum, but rest assured someone will get back with you soon with some advise and help. You can also search the forums for this information as there is allot of documentation on this site for these types of questions. I can honestly say that of all the items I have cooked thus far, I have not had / made a bad meal yet. When in doubt, cook it low and slow just make sure you check your meat temp to achieve the results you are looking for. Sorry I could not be of more help, but I am not experienced enough to dish out advise. I am more of a guy who just experiments and lives life to the fullest. :)
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm surprised you haven't seen any other replies yet. The thing that held me back was the bacon. I like to open the vents all the way and sear my steaks at a very high temperature, but with 15 pieces of bacon that might turn your Egg into a towering inferno. ;-)

If you were cooking those in the oven most recipes say you would put them under the broiler for about 5 to 7 minutes per side. So perhaps if you got your temperatures to 550ish (rather than the ridiculously high temps some of us go for) that would keep the flames down.

I'd be tempted to put a foil plate or something under the steaks, to avoid nasty bacon flare ups.

DISCLAIMER: I've only been using my Egg for a month or so and I'm pretty much just guessing here.
  • Egghead123SC
    Options
    I am fairly new and learning also. Conincidently, I am doing bacon wrapped filets tonight.

So far, for ribeyes (thick cut at Costco), I have been seasoning with dizzy pig cowlick or "raise the steak". Let sit on counter for 30 minutes before cooking to warm up some. Bring egg up to 650 degrees. Then, cook about 2 minutes each side, flip back to first side and shut top and lower vents on the egg. Check temp with thermapen after about another 2 minutes, and pull off when internal temp at center of ribeye is 130 to 135 for medium rare.

For bacon wrapped filets, I am going to use the Trex method--just search for it on this forum, and you will find an explanation, and here is a link also: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm.

I note normally that ribeye or NY Strip will be a lot more flavorable than filets, and I rarely do filets anymore but decided to try them tonight.

Essentially, season with kosher salt and fresh coarse ground pepper. Then, put a layer of brown mustard on each side, a some olive oil on top of that (although Trex apparently no longer uses mustard, I am going to try it with Inglehoffer coarse ground stone mustard--top rated by CooksIllustrated and I use it in a glazed pork tenderloin recipe currently). Sear about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes each side. Then, take steaksoff the Egg and let rest for 20 minutes. During this time, bring the Egg down to 400 degrees by closing vents. Then, finish cooking steak up higher in the Egg (you need a rig or grill extender--if you don't have yet, you probably will get one--try the ceramic grill store site). Anyway, if you don't have one for tonight, mayby drop temp a little more to 375 or so and just finish cooking on your main grate--couple minutes more each side. You really need a meat thermometer--thermapen is the best--again top rated by Cooksillustrated and I have used one for a couple of years even before getting an Egg and people here rave about them also. Trex pulls off at internal temp of 125 degrees, I pull about 130 normally. Then, let steak rest 5 minutes before serving.

Good luck.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    The way I do bacon wrapped filets is to use meat twine or mostly skewers and put them together like a roast. If you use skewers use at least 2 and put them in near the outer edges. I usually have my BGE at around 400 degrees and put the meat on. I rotate/turn the "roast until the bacon is almost done. Pull it off, bump up the temp to 450-500 and give it a few minutes to burn off the grease. Then seperate the steaks and put them on and cook to desired temp.
  • egguitarist
    Options
    400 deg for approx 12 min at 3 min mark rotate for grill marks and turn at 6 min mark is the way I do mine . rare might be 10 or so use a thermapen good luck

these are 2 inches