Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5AM...fire went out :(

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ugh...doing a couple of butts for a large BBQ/open house party we are having tomorrow. The test cook went great, 12 hour smoke, no issues at all. Had the egg stabilized last night at around 230 dome for well over an hour, butts went on at 1am. when my alarm went off at 5am my dome thermometer was reading 179--crap.

Luckily it looks like the first wasn't completely out, stirred the coals a bit and kicking open the vents now to hopefully get it back up to temp.

Hopefully this isn't the end of my sleep tonight and i don't have to spend the next hours chasing temps!

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Man that's terrible. I've been there also. Sounds like you will be OK though.
    Because I cook "naked" there are certain things I do for overnight cooks that have proven 99.9% effective:
    1- 250 degrees is my base temp (lower seems to cause issues)
    2- Last thing before bed is "wiggle rod" the fire grate.
    3- Trust my upper and lower setting to maintain my temp (250 has it's setting, 275 has it's, 300 it's...so on and so on)
    Kent Madison MS
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hope your cook is doing better now. :)

What BBQMaven said. ;)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    +1
    context is important :)
  • BarManBean
    Options
    Going much better now. I DO trust my settings, even though i've only had the egg for a little bit. It has given me no reason yet not to trust the settings, especially once the temperature stabilizes like it did last night.

I think I may have put a little to much lump in last night which might have restricted airflow. Now that a bit has burned off it seems to be having no issues :)
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    I don't know if my approach is right or wrong, but after I get my lump going, I stir it around a bit and let it burn for another 10 or 15 mins before I toss the food on. I've never had any burnouts, so I'm sticking with this approach.
  • BarManBean
    Options
    Given the success rate I would say that you have the right approach! :lol::lol::lol: