Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Temp Guage and ET-732 temps way off!

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is with the huge difference in temperature! I am using my new ET-732 for the first time. I started my first brisket at 5 am this morning. Now the Egg Gauge says it is a perfect 250 degrees but the Maverick says the temp is 322 degrees! I do have the grill probe attached to the grate with the clip that came with the Maverick could that be the difference? No I did not boil test my egg gauge maybe I should have done that already.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would boil some water and give both probes a quick check. Are you using the plate setter? If so, make sure the probe is not hanging out over the plate setter. Usually it is a lower temp at the grate, but if you lump level is high then it can be higher. Once I had a situation where my grate temp was much higher at first and I think it is because I used fire starters and set the plate setter on. The starters made a pretty high flame so the plate setter was getting licked by flames for 10 minutes or so. I think it heated up and held on to that heat for a while. Eventually my dome temp went higher than my grate temp.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Buckeye Fan
    Options
    I don't know why but now the ET-732 is reading about 270 degrees which is a about 20 degrees higher than the egg temp gauge. All I did was open the egg and moved the meat probe to a different part of the brisket. The temp dropped when I opened the lid when it came back to 250 degrees the Maverick is now at 270 degrees. Oh well I guess all is well. What I don't get is the meat temp probe says the brisket flat is 158 and it's only been on for 3 hours? Is the plateau temp of 160 or so gonna sit there for 5 hours ? The flat is 6.5 pounds.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I would suggest that after your cook you check the temp ob the egg gauge. Mine was off when new. I think the maverick reads much faster and depending on where you place it, on the grill or down the top it will read different. All you are looking for is a consistent temp. Trust the maverick for now. But calibrate soon.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    I had the same issue with my 732 last weekend. I finally noticed that the grate probe was over one of the openings at the edge of the plate setter. I moved it more to middle so it was shielded from the direct heat and it settled in about 25 degrees from the dome temp. I had checked them both in boiling water because this was the first cook with 732.

Good luck with it.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING