Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Smoking on the BGE

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I finally got my gift to myself :) But I do have a question about true smoking 225-250 temp.

Do I put the platesetter with the legs up, then my grates and the meat? Put a drip pan on the plate setter?
Large BGE

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations getting a new best friend.
    Yep, legs up and drip pan or at least a piece of foil to keep you plate setter on the clean side and it makes for easy clean up.

Let the forum know if you need more help. Is this your first cook or??? The more info to the forum the better the answers.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Smoked on a WSM and a CG Trio but now I went and got myself an Egg.....Too hard to pass up after all these year
    Large BGE

• jodyQ
    jodyQ Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello from Indiana! Going to smoke some chicken tomorrow and would like a few suggestions. Doing 4 leg quarters and one whole chicken (parts) have them marinating in a homemade jerk sauce. Here's the plan. Quarters on the bottom with the parts elevated on a rack above them. Planning on smoking them with a little apple wood at 225. I'll test with an instant read but figure around 3 - 4 hours. Will pull when finished, bring the Egg up in temp and crisp up the skin on the cast iron grate. That's the current plan but I'm open to help/better ideas from you all. Thanks
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Congratulations.. Yes legs up. Drip to keep the setter clean and if you want to add liquid it is good for that. Some people cook veggies in the drip pan also.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You will find it easier to get stable at a calibrated dome temperature of 250°. If you don't have to go 2 layers, don't - but it won't matter much either way.

I like the low and slow chicken at times taken to 195°. A little dryer but a deep BBQ flavor. 165° is what most folks pull at.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

No water needed... but no harm either.

chickspud1.jpg

chickspud2.jpg

chickspud4.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

When putting a drip pan on the plate setter use something to give a little air space between the two, that should alleviate any scorching of the drippings.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You should have room to do both on one level if you want.

chickenwhitesau1.jpg

added some white sauce for a little more flavor.
    chickenwhitesau2.jpg

GG
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi GG,
    I don't do many parts often except wings and that's around 375 for an hour. How long do you thinks the parts to be done at the lower temp???

I always try to wash,pat dry and then air dry in the fridge for up to 24 hrs.

How's your temps in the High Dessert??? Were 101 outside, I'm 94 inside. Not using the air,water heater or fridge. If I want to egg, have to buy, run home cook and eat. LOL I'm a kook but my all electric place is estimated at $15 for this month which is a minimum. :lol:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • jodyQ
    jodyQ Posts: 11
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, Thanks for the reply. I've read many of your post over the last year since I got my Egg and you always give sage advice. This cook might not turn out perfect but I'm betting it will be much better than just OK. I'll let ya know how it goes. Cooking Jerk for some folks I've never met. I don't know how they'll fare with the heat of the Jerk but the chicken itself should be more than edible! :evil:
  • egguitarist
    Options
    You can try a spatchock, 400 deg, direct heat, hit the breasts with a piccard, put on your rub and leave some butter on the breasts

Iphone275.jpg

Amazing woisture to the breast meat, will be done in 45-50 minutes.. And yes to smoke platesetter legs up
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Morning Bob.

I don't recall exactly but the low & slow I did for a whole took between 4 and 6 hours. As I recall I took the bird to 195°.

Our weather has been a little mild for this time of year, low 90's. But that is about to change in the next week. We will be steadily in the high 90's and low 100's. The end of this month or beginning of next and depending on the conditions we will hit a week of 105° to 115° for a day or too anyway.

What's with trying to save the earth and no 'comforts', you trying to save the eco system by yourself?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Sounds like a great cook to me. I would love to have a taste test on that cook.

Let us know how it turns out.

GG
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Just a brief suggestion, the next time you're in Home Depot, pick up four steel 5/8" hex nuts,
    Great spacers between PS and dip pan, uniform thickness so no wobble, and last forever!

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Good suggestion. 1/2" or 3/8" copper L's work well also as do short lengths of copper pipe with the one or both ends hammered flat to prevent rolling.

I use 1/2" tall kiln stilts and or 8" kiln stilts if the pan is flimsy.

Stilts will withstand temperatures as high as the egg walls will and the small stilts are about 2 bits each (25¢ or less for you younger farts).

GG