Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of lump charcoal...

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's lots to be said about lump on this Forum and we say it quite often in the form of questions, thoughts, opinions and damnation. But I just purchased a bag of Kroger lump because it happens to be the closest place for me to buy lump these days.

I already knew from earlier statements that it was made by Royal Oak. Plus, I've used it before without issues.

I didn't look to see what the price was while in the store so imagine my surprise when I looked at my sales slip when I got home.

Regular Price = $6.19 (8.8# bag)
E-coupon = $-1.00
10% Senior Discount = $-0.52
Total = $4.67

The discounts came up automatically because we had registered on line for E-coupons and Sr. Discounts.

I just wanted to pass this on should some of you shop at Kroger.

Spring "It Pays To Be Old And Registered" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    There's lots to be said about lump on this Forum and we say it quite often in the form of questions, thoughts, opinions and damnation. But I just purchased a bag of Kroger lump because it happens to be the closest place for me to buy lump these days.

I already knew from earlier statements that it was made by Royal Oak. Plus, I've used it before without issues.

I didn't look to see what the price was while in the store so imagine my surprise when I looked at my sales slip when I got home.

Regular Price = $6.19 (8.8# bag)
    E-coupon = $-1.00
    10% Senior Discount = $-0.52
    Total = $4.67

The discounts came up automatically because we had registered on line for E-coupons and Sr. Discounts.

I just wanted to pass this on should some of you shop at Kroger.

Spring "It Pays To Be Old And Registered" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

To put that in easier terms

You paid $.53 per pound

BGE lump costs $1.00 per pound

I just purchased a 20lb bag for 12.89 from GFS, but if I join as a business owner, I can get a 5% discount. But I paid $.64 a pound. With a discount I would ba $.61 a pound.

You sir, are the current king of Royal Oak discounts!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha... I suppose I could have just said, "Got lump at Kroger for 53¢ per pound." But why use eight words when a couple'a hundred will do.

Spring "Good Cheap Lump Makes Life Better" Chicken
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    RO 17.63 lbs for $7.99 at RD. 0.45/lb
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yep Phil...that is what I pay also... ;):)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    But then I would have to drive 22 miles at 51¢ per mile (IRS rate) = $11.22 + $7.99 ÷ 10# = $1.92 per pound.

Spring "Close Is Cheaper" Chicken
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    But then I would have to drive 22 miles at 51¢ per mile (IRS rate) = $11.22 + $7.99 ÷ 10# = $1.92 per pound.

Actually they just raised that to $.55.

My BGE store and GFS are about the same distance for me. About 3 miles.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Even more reason to buy Kroger lump while I'm shopping for groceries. Now if someone would open a nice, Egghead-friendly lump store near me I could be persuaded to buy my lump from them.

As a retireeeeeeee, every ¢ per pound counts.

Spring "Shop Closer Not Further" Chicken
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    So, what does an old retired chicken say? Cheep! Cheep! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    And your point is...??? :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    I get free delivery and drop off. :laugh:
  • purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:

You only buy 1 bag at a time? I knew they were thinking of cutting Soc Sec, but geez is it that bad? ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    They only had two bags in the store and I figured I'd be a nice guy and leave the other one for some other Egghead.

Spring "Nice Birds Finish First" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm not a member of RD. I thought you had to go to their warehouse to buy stuff, unless perhaps you were a major purchaser like a restaurant or something.

Spring "My Home Delivery Stopped With The Stork" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I try to spend like I'm using real money... MY real money.

Cheep Cheep is a good thing.

Spring "A Dollar Ain't What It Used To Be" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for the tip...

• PhilsGrill
    Options
    My neighbor, who has an XL, is a chef and teaches part time at one of the Atlanta Culinary Schools here. That should say it all.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    Holy moly! Great price.

Today I noticed that BGE brand lump at my hoidy-toidy BBQ shop had increased in price... $29 for a 20 lb bag! I'll build a kiln and make my own lump before I pay that much for fuel.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Stopped by my favorite place to buy RO lump yesterday, Wally world in Woodstock GA, they usually have a pallet of it on hand. This time they had none, employee said they thought they still carried it. They had lots of briquettes on hand but no lump. Based on other comments looks like WW is dropping RO lump pretty quickly, this is in Atlanta where RO is based. Now I will turn into a lump hoarder any inventory below 100 lbs needs to be restocked.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN