Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
Jackbythesea
Jackbythesea Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone!
I'm new, can anyone give a new guy a foolproof medium rare hambuger recipe?
Jackbythesea

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jackbythesea,
    use 80/20 ground beef or chuck. .. mix in a tablespoon or so of your favorite bbq sauce. . .make big patties, (i like at least 1/2 pounders) push a dent into the center of them (keeps them from shrinking up into balls while cooking. . .season with dizzy pig cowlick rub or ken stone's witchy red rub (if you have neither, go with salt and pepper[p]set up your egg at around 300 - 350 degrees dome temp. . .get fire will established. .. put the burgers in the egg. . . close dome. .. don't even peak for 8 - 10 minutes. ..open and flip. . .for medium rare, you'll want to check after about another 5 minutes. . .[p]i promise, these will be the best burgers you ever ate in your life. . ..i don't even eat mine on buns with cheese or condiments anymore. .they taste to good "naked". . .[p]other things you can do in addition to above. ..add a chunk of hickory or jack daniels chips to the fire for some smoke. . .. stick a chunk of blue cheese into the center of the burgers for a change of pace. ..[p]enjoy

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    hamburger%20readtoeat.JPG
    <p />Jackbythesea,[p]Check out my post below:[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/191404.shtml[p]As max said, for medium-rare, start checking internal temp at around 5 minutes on the second side.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • Jackbythesea
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks! Your the best! It sounds great. Last night was my first time cooking with the BGE. Made chicken standing up on the roaster @ 350 for about 90 minutes. It was OK but next time I think I'll try it direct on the grate for crispy skin. It's great to know there are people like you who will help me!
    JR

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Jackbythesea,[p]It's too easy........set up your egg indirect. I use a plate sitter, and then get the temp to 300 range. Once the egg is stable then throw on some chunks of your favorite smoking wood....I use hickory and pecan and put the burgers on. You don't have to flip the burgers check every 5 minutes after the first 10 minutes of smoking.[p]
    Beers........bigarms

• Jackbythesea
    Options
    bigarms,
    Being I'm new with the BGE, what is a plate sitter and how does it work? My dealer was NO help at all!
    Thanks,
    Jackbythesea

• D'man
    D'man Posts: 11
    Options
    JR.....I did the drunk chicken tonight directly on the gill. It was a 5 lb. chicken. I had it on from 5:55 pm till 7:40 pm. It came out great. Crispy skin and very moist meat. I used a potato in the hole at the top to keep the steam from escaping. Happy Egging.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dman,
    instead of the potato, next time try a lemon wedge... .it will add some nice flavor to your bird. . .