Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken help

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone been able to fit 3 whole chickens in a large?

If so, how did you do it and can you post a pic?

Also need a pan of veggies under the chickens.

I have a recipe that the wifey wants cooked Friday night. I have done it with 2 chickens for 8 people and it was great, but she wants to serve 12 on Friday.

(Spatchcock will not work for this recipe).

For the 2 chickens, I placed a pizza stone on the lowest level of my adjustable rig, then molded a large foil pan to fit on spacers on the stone. I cooked the chickens on the grid on the top level of the AR (450* cook). Chickens had crisp skin and veggies were not burned.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• oldfishinglure
    Options
    Hey Clark Put em on sitters and foil the veggies around them....Go Rebs!!

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Cut them in half and put in a pin wheel fashion. I'll try to go find the picture, I've done it. Not the ideal set up and you will need to rotate them during the cook.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Sitters might work, if they don't take up too much room. Will have to test that!

Rebs - WooHoo

Where are you located, ofl?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Chris, but I'm not sure how they will cook as the recipe calls for whole chickens and it was a simple, awesome cook in the past (Bouchon chicken).

Might be worth considering, though!
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    I live in Oklahoma,
    I went to school at Ole Miss, same with dad and grand dad..

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Clark, if you have to go vertical with the birds.

Depending on how large the birds are you should be able to spoke them from the center out from center on the grid or raised grid. I have done it but no pictures. If I recall I put the legs out from center.

Veggies under the birds should be no problem.

Kent
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'm with GG. Stand'em up and maybe upside down like Steven.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Kent, now that sounds like a good idea. Would have to figure out something to keep them from touching - maybe an 'sitter' stand in the center of the birds.

Hmmmm...
    Thanks
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You can do four beer can chicken setups in a large. I've done it. Also you can do 'half ****' the chickens you can get them on too. Been there done that, but no pics.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    WooHoo !!

Father and I both went there and my son went for a few semesters..

We tailgate near the Alumni House - "The Hotty Toddy Society".

FYI: My wife is in the process of finishing a painting of a guy dressed up as Colonel Reb (from a pic I took from our tent last season). Several people have asked her to make copies available. I think we will have 'giclees' made (higher quality than prints) and offer them for sale to fans who still like Colonel Reb (Ain't no stinkin' bears). :)

Here is a 'lousy' quality photo of her unfinished painting (cell phone pic that was texted to me, then emailed, then uploaded to Photobucket and posted here). :whistle:

photo-3.jpg

If you might have any interest, email me through the Forum. No idea about cost, but only slightly above what it costs us to have the copies (giclees) made.

Hotty Toddy.....
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Not sure I want to do ANYTHING like Steven does :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding - he really has some good cooks.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Phil, were these on the standard (firering) level or elevated?
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Say Clark,
    Maybe you could round them up on a Fire Wire :evil: :whistle:
    Would keep them stable :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Do you have the spider and a small pizza stone? :huh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Depending how you want the skin to turn out, touching may not matter.

Looking forward to seeing the cook.

Just thinking... you could get another egg. :)

Kent
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the help?, DOW . :ohmy: ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I do.

BUT, the first time I did this recipe, I used the spider, small stone technique, putting my roasting pan at the Firering level, the veggie in the pan and 2 chickens on top of the veggies - BUT the veggies burned to a crisp (the chickens were great). I think I was too close to the fire.

The oven-version calls for the chicken to be cooked on the top oven rack (hi temp, but long distance from the heat source), so I am trying to get the chickens as elevated as I can, yet get the dome closed. :ohmy:

I think Kent's idea of standing them upright in a 'teepee' type pattern might work since the upright parts will all be in the center (tallest) part of the dome.
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    Thats too funny...Will pm you tonight. Have to go carry mail in triple digits...Would be a great gift to my dad
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Standard with plate setter.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Clark,

Lotsa room on the stand, you could fit four anyway. Remember upside down.
    IMG_0142.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    As is obviously appropriate......your chickens MUST be shorter than mine, thus easily fitting under the dome... :laugh: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Here's the plan:

1) Spider with small pizza stone
    2) I cut and molded a large foil pan to fit on the lowest level of the Adjustable rig.
    3) I found that I can prop all three chickens (3.75-3.9# each) upright in a teepee against an upright chicken stand in the middle of them. (I mght have to wrap a firewire or string around them to hold them up).
    4) This will fit on the top notch level of the AR - will not fit on the top grid of the AR, as they all touch the dome when closed at that level.

Thanks for all the suggestions - a combo of several of them plus just plain experimenting after I got the birds...

Pics to follow later tonight or in the am - depending on time and adult beverages btwn now and bedtime. :ohmy: :whistle: