Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New fire grate grill

Options
SoDak Wayne
SoDak Wayne Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were having issues getting our egg up to the higher temps we like for doing pizzas. So we purchased a new fire grate grill from High-Que, and wow, did that ever make a difference!! All the ash that seemed to get piled up around the holes in the standared grate, as well as the charcoal dust and small pieces that you get when you empty the bag, fall right through this grate allowing for really good air circulation. It has been a real find, thought I'd share...

Comments

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Have you tried any
  • golfguy
    Options
    Not sure how it missed the last half of my question...

Have you tried any
  • golfguy
    Options
    Wow, I guess "
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I reviewed it on my web page and I was very happy with it. I'm using it full time now. In the past I had used a circle of expanded stainless steel, but it wasn't heavy enough to keep its shape under the intense heat. This is much better.

Questions came up about perhaps losing a lot of small pieces of lump through the grate, but I haven't found that much in the ash when I've cleaned out my large. I am extremely please with mine.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Wonderful! Now if only they'd start making them in sizes for all of the eggs...
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    $36.87 includes postage to Texas.
    Thanks for the posting, just ordered on-line.
    Could not get anyone to answer the phone so could not check if offered Small or Mini.
    Whiz thank you for the input as well.
    Kent if not working out will come your way :laugh:
    ############################
    A few min's after posting this the lady who owns/runs (?) called back. Very nice lady...
    She said at this time no Small or Mini. But they would look into them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Everything ok there golfguy?

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'm very happy with mine as well. I purchased one after The Whiz' review and have been using it ever since.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • golfguy
    Options
    haha I guess the symbol I was using kept cutting off the rest of my question...

I was trying to ask if he had any problem cooking with temperatures of 250deg or less... The "less than" symbol kept cutting my post off!

anyways, Whiz, can you speak on how the grate performs when doing a low temp cook?
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I just ordered one myself. Mine is cracked and this one seems much better than the OEM one.
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    Options
    You all sure cost me a lot of money. I just ordered one.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

We're here to "help"! :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Went to website and it looks like it only comes in Large. I have an XL and Med and keep noticing that it takes SO much longer for the Med to come up to temp. I was thinking about getting this fire grate to help with the problem. Anyone else have any thoughts on why the Med takes so much longer to heat up than the XL? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated B)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I'm a fan as well.

Great Grate Upgrade

highque_FoodFireBlog_-1030229.jpg
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    One of the solutions to the med warm up time was posted on here by Grandpas Grub - a tube of some sort through the lower vent on startup to stop the incoming air going around the fire box rather than through it.
    It doesn't have to be anything special - I have used a sheet of rolled (A4 here in Europe) standard photocopy paper.
    It seems the medium is particularly sensitive to ash build up in the startup phase, a wiggle rod helps a lot too.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    I betcha their sales on this grate exploded as a result of this post.

I just ordered two of 'em.

Thanks for the post Wayne, and the response from Doug (Naked Whiz).
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    I know that this is run by a young man and his mom, I think they are trying to get Amazon to warehouse them, so good luck to them. I imagine that the way they are starting to sell that they may indeed start producing different sizes, I sure hope so. They were very nice to deal with. I know you will all be happy with the results once you put this in your BGE...
    Next up more pizza!!