Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal temp question....

Options
golfguy
golfguy Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the recommended internal temperatures for burgers and steaks? (Rare all the way to well done would be nice)

I've seen 190-200 for pulled pork and brisket?? I ordered my thermapen and I want to know how to use it properly upon arrival!! B)

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I use this, ground beef is at the bottom. Note the difference between the USDA and professional kitchens. I use the professional kitchen temps.

http://www.marthastewart.com/270074/meat-temperatures-chart
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    this charts not perfect but it is a good starting point when you get your thermapen. the thermapen ruined burgers for me, i wont use one on a burger. i watch foe the initial cook on the bottom and for juices to start flowing on top, flip and wait for the juice to puddle up un top again, done. you want a burger cooked more and i will kill it for you :laugh:
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    USDA recommends Most meats cook to 160, Poultry to 165. Most of us here wont agree with those numbers as the meat is way overcooked.

This looks like a good chart-

Another from food network-
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/meat-and-poultry-temperature-guide/index.html

You need to figure out what your family likes. My daughter and I like burgers and steaks at around 135. My wife won't touch it unless its at least 150. My Mother in law likes it above 160 (well done and grey - YUK!)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    There are specific reasons why Pulled pork and brisket are taken to those high temps, its not for safety but for texture.

Pork is perfectly safe to eat at 140, but when you get up to 170, you have driven all the moisture out, but the collagen around the muscle fibers begins to break down. keep going to 195 and all of the collagen will break down, releasing its hold on the individual fibers and lubricating them. That's why you can pull the pork and it has that stringy texture. If you tried to pull pork at 140 it would not work.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Cookingchart2.jpg

This is my personal chart, and it does not not represent all of the USDA recommended temperatures. I sometimes bend the rules on meat I grind at home and on some pork cuts.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Cooking to Temp is a good general rule of thumb, but some things just don't lend themselves to having a probe stuck in them very easily. Pizza and chopped veggies come to mind. I also don't cook burgers to Temp either. ;)

My technique for burgers was developed by reading this forum and adapting what I learned here to what worked for me at my geographical altitude, my specific Egg, etc.

Anyway, for a "man-size" burger (about 1" thick or so, not those flimsy "Mickey-D" type burger patties :P ) - I just put it on direct @ about 350 dome & keep it there for 4 minutes, then after 4 minutes, I flip it once & keep it there for another 4 minutes. When I'm going out the 2nd time, I'll take some cheese w/ me & put that on the burgers & then close the dome back down for about 30-40 seconds.

Upon re-opening the dome, the cheese has pretty much melted due to the convective heat all around the grid. :woohoo:

Another thing I learned is to NOT pound your patties too much, as it makes them tough - When I'm forming the meat, I just gently toss it back & forth in my hands until it starts to form the shape of a ball, then I gently start slapping it back & forth in my hands, taking care not to pound it too hard.

Also don't use a spatula to "smush" the patties once they're on the Egg - just put them on there & leave them alone until you flip. Also, put a small "dimple" into the middle of them prior to putting them on the Egg - this helps keep them from "bulging out" & swelling while cooking.

By using techniques like this, I've been able to grill great tasting hamburgers that family & friends say are the best they've ever eaten!! :cheer:

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Adam,

Here's the one I like.

and remember bigger meats and faster/hotter cooked meats carry over quite a bit when tented. 5-15 degrees