Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg, Old Weber

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I got a new BGE (a large) about a month ago. I also own a Weber Spirit 320 gas grill. I used to use it all the time until I got the Egg. Since then, I haven't used it once. I am considering selling but wanted to run it by other Eggheads to determine if any of you would recommend keeping it for other cooking applications.

The Weber 320 is in excellent shape, is just a year old and a nice grill. I could probably sell it for a nice price but will keep it if other eggheads see a benefit to it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    I would sell it...

Put the cash towards your second, maybe smaller BGE!!! B)
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    Only time I use the gasser is when I get home late from work after 7 PM and want a quick burgeror other pice of meat. I would not have a gasser if not for that instance.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    I think it could be worth it to hold onto it for high-volume cooks (i.e. a bunch of wings or corn) or just to be able to easily have two different temperatures going at the same time.

However, you could probably get a lot of use out of a new adjustable rig setup if you sell the grill and use the funds to splurge at the ceramic grill store B)

At the end of the day tho', if you never see yourself using the weber anymore I would say get rid of it sooner rather than later...it's eventually gonna rust out on you whether you use it or not, and then it will be worthless.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Russel,

If you can sell it and convert it into a bunch of lump or an adjustable rig, a cool knife, thermapen, on and on, then sell it. If it isn't worth much, then use it as a storage compartment for all the stuff you'll have to store soon. I've seen some $3,000+ Jumbo Gassers as storage units. :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Sounds like you just need a weed burner or at the least a mapp gas torch. I can have any of mine up to temp in 15 minutes and the mini in 5 or less. I haven't picked up a weed burner yet, mapp is pretty fast when the egg is clean.
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Let me ask you a dumb question, Ripnem.

Whats a "mapp"?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don't know what that particular grill runs, but Webers can be expensive. I don't see you having a hard time getting rid of it for a decent price. Yeah, you would lose some, just like selling a car, but you could put the money to another egg or grilling accessories. I have a 5 year old Stainless Steel Charbroil, gas isn't even hooked up to it and its just used as storage right now. Been thinking of giving it to my parents to replace theirs as they would never cook on charcoal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ripnem
    Options
    It is what a plumber uses to make his copper connections. Mapp is the gas in the torch. It is just like a propane torch, just different gas. Mapp burns better upside down and a little hotter. Yellow tank ;) also don't get the cheap torch head, if you decide to get one. The Benzomatic TS4000 is what mine are and are great units.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I wouldn't even consider keeping the gasser. It's just going to sit there doing nothing and value is going to keep decreasing as time goes by. Sell it while the value is highest and buy a few accessories that wouldn't otherwise have bought yet for the EGG.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    have one at camp, good for cooking alot of corn, almost corn season here :) i was in my 20's when i learned people eat corn on the cob as a side dish, we just ate corn 10-12 ears each :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I have a Broil King Sovereign that I bought last year at the same dealer we got the BGE. I would have to say that if you owned a quality gasser, there is a lot of value in it.

While I admit that the addition of a bit of smoke does enhance the flavor of food, my Broil King does a great job at cooking Steaks, burgers, brats and chicken. Anything that requires heat of around 400-450 I do on the Broil King.

I use the BGE for everything else. I have to admit, that using a gasser is simpler and with a quality unit, the results are fantastic. But for low and slow and smoking, there isn't anything that I've used that matches the BGE.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Yeah the grill is in excellent shape and was $799 new. (Wish now I'd known of the Egg at that time). It has 0 rust and is cleaned compulsively. Has been under cover since purchased.

I like the idea of having it for large volume cooks...but I suppose I could accomplish that by adding some accessories to the egg. (Most of the funds will have to go to savings...have my second little one on the way next spring!!) ;)

I may test the water on Craigslist to see what I can get for it. Thanks everyone for the input.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I hope you have tried all those meats mentioned on the Egg. :ermm: The BGE truly improves all food vs. cooking over gas. No matter how fancy a gasser.

I've never owned a gasser, that's just what everyone I feed says. :P seriously
  • clearwater egghead
    Options
    I have a Weber Genisis, while I don't do many main dishes on it I still use it for sides. The burner comes in handy for blackened fish. Isn't it fun to see the results your getting with your new egg. ;)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If you have the room, I'd say keep it. I still use mine at times when I just don't want to spend an hour getting a lump fire going. It's also a good place to keep things warm without using the kitchen oven. Lastly, it's something my friends can cook on as I don't want them messing with my Egg..
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    Options
    I would buy a griddle from Camp chef.com. They are pre seasoned and really nice for bacon and eggs, hash browns, grilled sandwiches etc.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Rascal wrote:
    I still use mine at times when I just don't want to spend an hour getting a lump fire going.

I pull my electric starter after 8 minutes and had my brats on last night after a total of 15 minutes. I really don't buy into all that wait time / VOC business. If it smells OK, I throw the food on.

I do agree with your other two comments though - I get nervous when other people get to close to the Egg! B)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    cedar planked potatoes are good off the gasser :) not alot of room in the egg if your doing alot of servings and doing a couple tritips in the egg

DSC_0111.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    I kept my gas grill, mainly for storage - however the two side burners are awesome for things like boiling water (like for a crab boil), parcooking things like potatoes before putting them on the egg, or as someone mentioned you need a ton more surface area for very large cooks.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    FWIW: Just the mention of 'gas' here on the forum is enough to generate stress-induced episodes of flatulence (gas) among some viewers. Kinda like a cat chasing its tail.. 'gas' can cause 'gas'! 8 - )
    Helpful tips on cause & prevention here..

http://www.stress-management-for-peak-performance.com/intestinal-gas.html
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Rascal wrote:
    ...it's something my friends can cook on as I don't want them messing with my Egg..

:laugh: Oh, that is too funny!! :laugh:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I used to use my old gasser for storage, until I sold it @ a yard sale.

Also, I use this:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/newsroom/bernzomatic-quickfire-torch.aspx

and an old pair of fireplace bellows & can get my large to whatever temp I want w/in 10 minutes (possibly 15 if it's 500 degrees or higher).

My GF used to complain that the Egg took too long to get to temp & she'd rather cook stuff on the stove until I proved her wrong by winning a "race" between the Egg & stove as to which one could get to 450 the fastest :evil:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I would vote for keeping the gasser.

I have had my BGE for 5-6 years now and just this year bought a gasser for when I need the convenience. I don't expect to use it much but the price was right.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I have a Weber gasser that I picked up cheap. I love it for morning bacon without smelling the house out.
    I still occasionally cook on it but wouldn't miss it apart from the bacon - it takes up a lot of space though.
    Perhaps it's because I have a medium but if I want to have a grillout I often use my weber kettle simply for the grill space and the ability to have different temperature zones and fiddle with stuff with a drink in the other hand ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    ha ha love it!! when I was a teenager we lived in PA on a gentleman's farm :whistle: dad let the local Mennonites plant corn so the fields would keep nice. in exchange they planted a couple of acres of sweet corn and we sold by the road. many a night it was corn for dinner :) with maybe a hot dog.. but the main course was fresh picked sweet corn..... nice memories 10, 12 ears apiece LOL
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    now is the time to dump it if you can. height of BBQ season and lots of poor fools that do not know about the egg. but get ready for all the questions lol. use the $$ for egg toys or toward the next egg ;)