Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peameal bacon - heads up Canucks!

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been hearing about how great this Peameal Bacon is and how "Canadian Bacon" is NOT from Canada and yadda, yadda, yadda....

I cured a whole loin with Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon dry cure for 6 days. Today I took 1/2 and rolled it in yellow cornmeal. The other half got a water soak to remove most of the salt and is resting on a rack in the fridge alongside the wrapped peameal one.

Tomorrow is picture day. I will slice and package the peameal loin and smoke the other one for "Canadian bacon".

It will be interesting to see if the Hi Mtn cure will produce a bacon like what I hear the little one and other Canucks crowing about. Since I have never had the "real" stuff, it's going to be hard to know. :ohmy:

Also today my order of Morton TenderQuick came in (pricey when you have to order the d$#%n stuff online). :angry: I have a recipe specifically for peameal bacon that uses TenderQuick and sugar. I will do that next and compare to the Hi Mtn one.

At least I'm gonna be enjoying a bunch of bacon doing all these eggsperiments! :whistle: :woohoo:

Until tomorrow - will post pics then.... ;)

Comments