Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

James (or any other UK eggers!)... quick question

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
do you know of any resource which shows the UK equivalent names for American cuts of beef and pork?

Last time I went to the butcher, I spent about 20 minutes trying to explain what a tri-tip was. They had a picture of a cow on the wall, and I pointed at the bottom sirloin, and one of the guys was absolutely adamant that I didn't mean the muscle that I was referring to. He said that it was only used for "magic Chinese stir fry beef" (lol)

Finally someone overheard us talking and brought out a giant uncut sirloin (that thing must have weighed 40-50 kg) and asked me to show him what I meant. I did, but it had already been "trimmed". I took the rest, about 1.6 pounds, pretty small for a tritip. Funny, when he gave it to me and I explained how I was going to cook it, his eyes lit up, almost wanting me to save him some or invite him over! lol

Anyway, I'm a bit leery of asking for a boston butt or a brisket... lol. I've seen the "briskets" and "pork shoulders" at Tesco, Asda, etc... sigh. Leaves a lot to be desired as a native Texan :(

I love the UK, just wish I had access to my Houston butcher & meat selection. lol

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I started out with charts from TVWB, take a look at their resources section, I think the most useful was from NZ.
    The other thing is you need a butcher (or a producer / butcher) which we had plenty of cheap, helpful and enthusiastic ones in Ludlow - not as easy to find this side of the border as most of them don't buy whole beasts any longer.
    It often takes a phone call or a prior visit to arrange. When I first insisted I wanted. Whole brisket I was offered something 4 feet long so I bought it by the foot but my eyes were still bigger than my WSM grate.
    " two nations with everything in common but the language"
    I'll try and ask the posh butcher in Aberfoyle if I remember, they might get American tourists, ha ha.
    Good luck.
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    Hey now some of those American tourists could be eggheads ;)
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    Rezen,

I'm so glad that you asked that question - my butcher is very innovative with suggestions but it's very frustrating when I hear of all our American friends cooking these unheard of cuts! I shall post on the Rivercottage forum and see if our friend Hugh has any ideas!
  • Waring
    Waring Posts: 4
    Options
    I saw this page a while ago...

I't doesn't give equivilant names but does provide pictures which may help

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Nick
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Those are what I started with - took one in to my butcher. Next thing I knew I had a huge bone in pork shoulder (butt to you guys) on my WSM!