Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Questions

Options
Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been jumping around the forum and reading about the BGE. Don't have mine just yet need a few more greenbacks in hand before I pick mine up :( . I was wondering about grid care, on my gas grill I get the sucker hot then brush and wipe down down with peanut oil. Once the cooking process is complete let the grill hot for a 10 or 15 and brush and wipe with oil again. That is my compete grate cleaning and care SOP. With this process be good for the BGE grids? Also it seems that running the egg hot cleans the inside, is that a proper assumption on my part? Also what would the best first cook be? Love steaks, BBQ, and anything cooked over fire. Thanks

Comments

• FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    My total care solution for the grid.

1. Scrub grid with wire brush before cooking.
    2. Cook on grid.
    3. This instruction intentionally left blank

End of instructions.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I rarely clean my grid (I figure it's like "seasoning" for the next cook :P ), but when I do, I use a poor man's (ie, hillbilly's) way of cleaning it - I take a piece of aluminum foil, wad it up into a ball, and then run the "foil-ball" up & down the grid rods. It's CHEAP, simple, and effective. Oh, and did I mention "cheap" :whistle:

As far as what to cook - I think my 1st cook was hamburgers (or maybe a pizza, can't remember).
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That will work...

I use a wire brush when I am done cooking, and then when hot for the next cook I 'may' brush again if it looks like it need it.

GG
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    I cooked a couple of rib eyes for my first cook. Made a couple of mistakes, though. First, I didn't wait for the lump to fully light, so I had some "bad smoke" coming out of the grill. (It's white and very noticeable.) Wait for that stuff to go away.

Second, I forgot to keep it simple while I was learning. Just as I was putting the steaks on I decided to throw on some wood chips. Several stayed on the cooking surface and they caught fire right next to the meat. Gave the steaks a nasty flavor.

If you've never had an ABT that might be a good way to start! They are easy to make, hard to screw up, and DELICIOUS. You can find recipes here in the forum and on Google. (These may be the first thing I cooked on the Egg that made my wife go: "Oh my god...")

When you get ready to do your first low and slow cook, stabilize your temp for a half hour or so and then leave it alone after you put the meat on. I had my dome temp at 250 but after I put my first pork butt on, the temp dropped to below 200. Rather than leaving it alone I kept messing with the vents and of course the next thing I knew the Egg was 350 degrees. ;-)

Hope this helped. Enjoy your new Egg (when you get it). I love mine.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I use a crunched up piece of foil to scrub the grid. Easy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    grid care? Heat it, cook on it, repeat.............

Clean it? hahahahaha

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Longrifle
    Options
    Thanks for the intell. One more question (surprise) what is ABT? Again thanks.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    What is this grid care you speak of? :blink:

I just cook on it, snuff the fire, relight the next day, and cook on it, repeat...
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    The name doesn't sound too appetizing, but ABT stands for "Atomic Buffalo Turd". There are lots of recipes online, but here are the basics:

1. Cut a jalapeno in half lengthwise
    2. Hollow it out to make a "boat"
    3. Put in a small sausage
    4. Pack the whole thing with cream cheese
    5. Wrap it in bacon
    6. Cook at 350ish for 40 to 60 minutes

My wife saw what I was making and her reaction was, "meh". But she took one bite and it changed her mind in a hurry. It's amazing how the flavors all meld together. At first it's crunchy, because of the bacon. Then you get this creaminess from the cream cheese. Then you taste some smokiness from the bacon and the grill. And just when you think the show is over you get hit with a little heat from the jalapeno. Good stuff!
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Congratulations on your soon to be new BGE.

I am a seni-new owner as well. I would suggest starting with something simple, like burgers. Once you learn how to manipulate temp and get a feel for how it cooks, I'd go for something a little more ambitious. Maybe ribs or a small pork butt. I made the mistake of cooking my first pork butt to time and not internal temp and I cant even exaggerate how embarrassing the results were. Invest in an instant read meat thermometer (Thermapen) and then maybe the Maverick et 732.

Happy Eggin
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I light it, wait till it gets hot and if there is any crud on it, I wipe with a wire brush.

I think my first cook was chicken thighs. Remember to cook to temperature, not time, and you will love the results.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Longrifle
    Options
    When I have smoked pork butts and prime rib on my smoker, I have always cooked to temp. I have one those romote deals that put in the meat and it beeps when it gets to the preset temp. and it talks to me.

But as for for steaks and what not I have kinda gone by time and feel of the steaks not temp. On the fourm it seems like like a large number of the folks here use instant read thermometer on steaks. Does jabbing the steak cause it be dry, because the jucies escape? I was always told "DO NOT STAB THE STEAK" :evil: 'cause you ruin that meat!! Was my dear ol' Pappy incorrect?
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    You have to love this form...all the great answers that show not only what you should do but great humor....

fix anything you want, cook to internal temp unlike your old smoker, the feel is not the way to go... on a steak i use 650 for four minutes each side, then shut off the air top and bottom then cook to the temp you want, remember to let it rest... the egg holds in all the juices so don't worry...

you are gonna love it....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Longrifle
    Options
    Thanks for the info, off to see the Wizard with the BGE and set a up a delivery date. Life is good!! :):)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I put mine in the dishwasher. :silly: