Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

my first butt, pics, 22 hours of fun

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry it took me 5 days to post. Hopefully it inspires others to take the plunge.[p]9.33 pounds $0.99/lb from Harris Teeter with VIC card.[p]meat.jpg[p]Used Elder Ward's rub.[p]rub.jpg[p]But addes some Yellow Mustard:[p]mustard.jpg :)[p]Did an indirect, using this setup:[p]setup.jpg[p]Didn't wait for the Egg to get hot before putting on the with chimney method, per Ward.[p]meaton.jpg[p]Used Soaked Alder Wood Chips, with them mostly concentrated for the 'coldsmoke' stage, but also spread out for 'over time' smoking:[p]smoke.jpg[p]Why Alder? My wife seemed to find Hickory a bit strong on our Chicken, and what the hey, says "Pork" on the package, who am I to argue... :)[p]So, what happened? Began at 2:30pm (62 deg. ambient, meat at 47) and watched things for 3 hours, until i went to the 2nd Washington Nationals Home game, much fun. So my wife was (nervous) and charged with watching temps for a few hours while i was gone.[p]Used the bottom at about 1/8" and the daisy, cap closed, and 'wheel' at about 1/4 slot. I left it at 210 dome, and i came back and it was at 200 dome. At 1am, i turned in. At 3am i checked it, and it was 180 dome, so i open'd the vents a bit. At 4am trouble: 150 degrees dome temp. Vents did no good, by 4am, i had to remove the setup and meat and unblock things. [p]Seems I got cheap. When i cleaned out the Egg before the cook i decided to recycle the 1/2 burnt lump in the firebox (which was very ashen) Next time i'll either use all new, or 'knock' the ash off my old lump, b/c it developed a LOT of ash (much more than normal) at 14 hours it had almost snuffed out the fire - the grate was clean (thanks to the large chunk at bottom) but the 'middle layer' was gray and like a blanket.[p]SO, i removed the goods, stirred the coals all around with my ash-poker, let the gray stuff fall through, and threw another (new) handful of lump on for good measure. Open'd both vents and got things back up to 250 this time. Things settled down to 220, with the meat on. At 7:30am it was 200. At the 2 hours/pound mark (9am ish) i bumped up to 270 deg. It 'plateu'd' at 175, and at 12:30 pm after i pushed it to 280/290 dome, it finally hit 195 deg internal. and the meat changed noticably in the last hour - pulling away from the shoulder blade, and 'cracking' nicely:[p]final.jpg[p]Made the "Piedmont" sauce but had to add about a Tsp. of sugar to make it 'wife friendly' , made slaw, and used potato rolls. Made my 2nd sandwich with Stubbs on the pork, under the slaw, that was good, too.[p]The sause was mod'ed with Shallots (had no onino on hand) and the sugar, and it was actually very good with the Pork.[p]letseat.jpg[p]Thanks to all for the info and tips.[p]

Comments