Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Raleigh BBQ

DenbbqDenbbq Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be in Raleigh in September to visit my daughter. Does anyone have recommendations for good barbecue in the area. Thanks

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,656
    Mike, some folks will recommend 'The Pit' downtown, and it's ok, but really nothing special. If you want real NC bbq, I'd look up Allen Brothers, up near Chapel Hill.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RaleighGuyRaleighGuy Posts: 158
    Ed Mitchell is no longer at The Pit, so I haven't been since he left. Some say quality has dropped. If I were you, I would venture a little outside of town for some of the real stuff. As the Whiz mentioned, Allen and Son's is a good choice. My favorite is Parker's in Wilson. It will take you about 35 minutes to get their from Raleigh. Also in Wilson is Bill's. They have a whole hog pig picken' buffet.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary-it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,029
    If you're gonna make it a road trip, Wilber's in Goldsboro is good too. Or it was last time I was there. For all I know, they've converted to gas, but they sure had a huge pile of wood out back when I last visited.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    Wilber's is good!!! Almost all places down east(where I grew up)have gone to gas.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary-it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,029
    WIlber's has NOT converted to gas!! I just called 'em and asked. :) 100% OAK!! Good to hear!!

484_IMG_1414.JPG
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    Good to know! I haven't been there in awhile. I foresee a road trip in the very near future.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    I might make it down to Four Oaks or Clayton to do some golfing, but Goldsboro is out there son. I am pretty sure my neighbour's parents live there. I'll have to ask them about the BBQ. Then again that same neighbour said mine was the best he's ever had. :) I will check it out if I ever venture out that way.

Sucks as Goldsboro isn't even on the path to the beach! Don't get to Chapel Hill either much either. Can't remember the last time. Years likely for a trip to the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro.
  • MazzdogMazzdog Posts: 44
    I liked the Pit but haven't been there in a while... Also you could check out the Q Shack.. there's one in North Raleigh at north hills mall or in Durham.