Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pig part pie

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok it’s a scrapple pizza, butcha wouldn’t have opened it now would’ya’ve? Sliced & fried per specifications, grilled onions added for balance, it was succulent:

001.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Couldn’t very well step outside without a healthy dose:

011.jpg

Quick batch of warm rise:

012.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

Made a second without the onions for the boy, and a plain tomato pie, great Wednesday night feast
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    While I do enjoy scrapple..that just plain aint right...inventive no doubt, but you have never been accused of not being inventive..
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The "Mad Chef" has been scrappled :)

Where you been Z? Haven't seen you in the hood lately.
  • carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    Options
    You are an outside the (pizza) box genius! I particularly like the pork and beef (mixture) scrapple from Shady Maple Farm Market. I'll be trying this soon.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• Zippylip
    Options
    wess, I've been thinking about this pie for years now, just never got around to it. Truth is while I love pizza & love scrapple, it didn't seem like they
    would be anything more than ho-hum together. I (& the family) was very pleasantly surprised, it was actually quite spectacular flavor-wise, particularly with the onions for sweetness. Give it a go & I am sure you'll agree
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Frank, I've been floating around but not cooking anything new. Also I've been pretty tied up moving my office/setting stuff up & a lot of other stuff that's just taking up all extra time these days
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    pork and beef scraple? I've never had that. Many years ago Habbersett made a bacon scrapple that was spectacular, didn't take off though so they discontinued it.
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Question, How does scrapple differ from spam?
    I've never heard of it till you eastern boyz brought it up. ;)
    Za looks tasty!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    I must try this immediately. Great idea and great pics.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    The best part of your cook is the Belhaven!

There's a Belhaven pub about 10 minutes drive from my house :D

The pie looks pretty good too. You should try haggis pizza next! ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Very Nice there Zippy!

Soooo . . . what kind of cheese goes with
    "Everything but the squeal"? :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Zippylip
    Options
    molly, I'm not a real expert on spam, but I've eaten enough of it to figure it's pretty much close to highly processed ham, stuff. Scrapple is more of a non-cured pork part pate with cornmeal added to extend it. It's probably closer to souse than it is to spam. Think cornmeal mush with pork fat, organ meats, & meat mixed in. It is a delicacy here, understandably not so to folks outside this area given it's description, but if you are they type that looks past that bs I'm sure you'd love it
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Marc, the least you could do is break up the scrapple so it looks like sausage or something!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. While Belhaven is indeed a spectacular brew, a house favorite here, scrapple is every bit its culinary equal - I have equal respect for both of these products, they're both at the top of their given ladders. I've never had haggis, but I've seen quite a bit about it & it seems to be in the same neck of the woods as scrapple. I would love to try it made properly, as I've had improper scrapple & it aint pretty
    happy in the hut
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Molly

Scrapple is everything the didn't get put into Spam when they were trying to figure out what to do with scrapes after butchering. It all gets ground and mixed with a cornmeal mush and shaped into a loaf similar to Spam. I used to have it in Vermont where it was fried in slices and served with maple syrup on it to go with breakfast, it was good stuff! Spam is made from the fancier parts of the critter. :laugh:

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

That's a great looking pie Zippy, I haven't had scrapple in many years and that looks tasty!

Blair

• Zippylip
    Options
    Usually white American goes nice with it, melted on top then onto a hoagie roll, man now I want one of them too
    happy in the hut
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    haggis is basically the same thing as scrapple - except made with lamb parts instead of pig parts, and with oats instead of cornmeal.

I actually cooked some haggis on the mini a few weeks back (first cook on the new mini, actually!) .. well, haggis was that wrapped in bacon because it exploded when I was parcooking it in water. lol

Haggis:

IMG_5932.jpg

Wrapped in bacon:

IMG_5933.jpg

On the mini:

IMG_6015.jpg

plated. it was actually very good! ;)

IMG_6020.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I could not agree more
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    nah, that would too negatively impact its fine texture. C'mon man, don't you know it's (almost) all about the texture?
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Blair, can't say the same thing. Probably haven't gone a month of my life without hittin the scrapple, love the stuff. Interesting link you posted, I never saw that before. Funny that Chester County is cited as basically ground zero for its inception, my home town. A few miles west of me is prime PA Dutch country, big scrapple territory
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    don't know nuthin' 'bout scrapple. have never even SEEN it! next time i'm in PA...maybe.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    Michael, be careful if you're passing through & ordering it out. Just about every diner offers it, but many don't use the best stuff, & many fry it in giant batches & let them sit forever until they sell them then try & re-heat... in my experience, scrapple is fairly tempramental. You of course need to start with a good brand (Habbersett is excellent), cook it & eat it immediately. Freezing it to store it is ok, but degrades the texture upon cooking, gets crumbly. Allowing it to sit too long after cooking also degrades it, loses its crunch. Best to buy it & cook it yourself, that's the best way to get it right
    happy in the hut
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Zippy: That is just wrong!!! But I would SOOOOOO eat that!!!! :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: I am truly hooked on the Habbersetts (thanks to you!) :laugh: I can taste that pie already. Kinda surprised you didn't add a couple eggs on top to roast a bit, yet leave some runny yolk... :whistle: Hmmmm...Do I hear wheels turning for a new breakfast pie??? :huh: :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Zippylip wrote:
    Best to buy it & cook it yourself, that's the best way to get it right

Wouldn't have it any other way. As if I had a clue how to cook scrapple! :) Thx for the brand tip though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    eggs would be interesting on there, there's nothing like a scrapple & egg sandwich in the morning with hot coffee. Glad to hear you're addicted, good to know that people can actually enjoy this stuff having not eaten it as a kid. Most folks turn their nose up at it because they just 'know' they're not gonna like it...
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Interesting link Blair, thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    Options
    They make the regular pork scrapple, turkey scrapple, pork and beef (mixture) and even a whole grain variety. I tried the whole grain, not bad, but there was a noticeable texture difference.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Did you use the words Scrapple & succulent in the same sentence??? :unsure: :blink: :sick: :pinch: That just ain't right... B):lol: :silly:

The dough did look spectacular but I must say I do worry about you...LOL...btw asparagus pie is on the menu for Friday night... :lol:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I just noticed you're in East Fallowfield, you're about 15 minutes from me in Ches Co if I'm not mistaken, right off 30 right?
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    that asparagus pie is addictive yes? And yea, scrapple is succulent, I can't think of another word that expresses the sentiment :laugh:
    happy in the hut