Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Cook

jaymag_87
jaymag_87 Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some nice NY Stirps from CostCo.

Steaks ready to go on.
071211steaksreadytogoon.jpg

Hey, Honey. The steaks are on.
071211steaksareon.jpg

If the Egg is a-Rockin', don't bother knockin'.
071211eggrockin.jpg

YIKES!!!Maybe I should have burped it before I opened it.
071211flippinsteaks.jpg

Hey, Honey. The steaks are done.
071211steaksaredone.jpg

Yummy supper, in front of the TV. Yes, that is Coke Zero in a can and Heinz 57. What can I say? I'm a Philistine.
071211yummydinner.jpg

Comments

• Ohio48
    Ohio48 Posts: 20
    I swear Costco has the best N.Y. strip steaks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    In that 4th shot it looks like you are turning them by hand :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    No Philistine at all!
    Heinz 57 is the best thing that ever happened to egged taters and french fries!

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaymag_87
    LOL. Actually, I'm using a pretty long set of tongs. The XL BGE is huge. :lol:
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Coke Zero and Heinz 57? Proof that Aggies ain't right in the head! :laugh:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jaymag_87
  • Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Costco steaks are great. I am planning to pick some up this weekend myself. Quick question for all you hot sear aficionados. Is it really all that critical? If you're cooking on a cast iron grill, is there really any reason to push the dome temp beyond 450 or 500 degrees? I'm thinking of the felt and the wear and tear that a blazing temp can have on the gasket. Plus the grid will be quite a lot hotter than the dome temp, so back to my question, if you're a little more patient, can't you achieve the same affect cooking on cast iron at the lower temp?

Just asking.

Chuck L.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If you have a CI grid(cooking surface) and preheat it to 450(dome) or so,you are good to go.You will get good marks without running the risk of overcooking your steaks.Pull them at 125 internal and rest em for 10 minutes or so before serving.You can always throw one back on a couple of minutes but you,me or no one else can UNCOOK anything.HINT.The thicker the steak,the more forgiving.I would never attempt to grill a steak less than 1 inch thick.The High HEAT sear works on steaks that are AT LEAST 1.5 inches thick or thicker. ;) Good Luck. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    WHEW! :whistle: That is fine tater dippin stuff,but you had me worried! :laugh: