Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raleigh BBQ

Options
Denbbq
Denbbq Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be in Raleigh in September to visit my daughter. Does anyone have recommendations for good barbecue in the area. Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mike, some folks will recommend 'The Pit' downtown, and it's ok, but really nothing special. If you want real NC bbq, I'd look up Allen Brothers, up near Chapel Hill.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Ed Mitchell is no longer at The Pit, so I haven't been since he left. Some say quality has dropped. If I were you, I would venture a little outside of town for some of the real stuff. As the Whiz mentioned, Allen and Son's is a good choice. My favorite is Parker's in Wilson. It will take you about 35 minutes to get their from Raleigh. Also in Wilson is Bill's. They have a whole hog pig picken' buffet.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you're gonna make it a road trip, Wilber's in Goldsboro is good too. Or it was last time I was there. For all I know, they've converted to gas, but they sure had a huge pile of wood out back when I last visited.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RaleighGuy
    Options
    Wilber's is good!!! Almost all places down east(where I grew up)have gone to gas.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WIlber's has NOT converted to gas!! I just called 'em and asked. :) 100% OAK!! Good to hear!!

484_IMG_1414.JPG

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RaleighGuy
    Options
    Good to know! I haven't been there in awhile. I foresee a road trip in the very near future.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I might make it down to Four Oaks or Clayton to do some golfing, but Goldsboro is out there son. I am pretty sure my neighbour's parents live there. I'll have to ask them about the BBQ. Then again that same neighbour said mine was the best he's ever had. :) I will check it out if I ever venture out that way.

Sucks as Goldsboro isn't even on the path to the beach! Don't get to Chapel Hill either much either. Can't remember the last time. Years likely for a trip to the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    I liked the Pit but haven't been there in a while... Also you could check out the Q Shack.. there's one in North Raleigh at north hills mall or in Durham.