Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT - Help

Options
Garyinchicago
Garyinchicago Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen some discussion on ABT but not sure what the recipe is or details on how to cook (direct or indirect, with smoke or not, temp, time, etc.) I am having some people over Sat and thought these might be a good "wow" app. Please help. Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Try ABT Dip instead...easier to make..here is my version of Julie's recipe... :)B)

ABT DIP
    (adapted from a recipe by Maine Egg)

INGREDIENTS:

15-20 Jalapeno Peppers (cored & chopped)
    3 8oz blocks of cream cheese (softened in the microwave)
    ¾ lb bacon (cooked, drained & broken into pieces)
    1 jar sweet salsa (I used Paul Newman Pineapple salsa)
    1 tsp Ragin River (any spicy rub will do)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Using a 10” CI skillet cook bacon until crispy, drain, crumble, set aside. While bacon is cooking seed & chop peppers into bite size pieces. I usually core half of the peppers real well and leave half with seeds & membrane. When the bacon is done take the chopped jalapenos and put in pan with bacon grease and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to soften up the peppers. After the peppers are done drain the excess bacon grease.

With the BGE at 300-350 put the cooked jalapenos in the bottom of the skillet. Take the softened cream cheese and spread over the top of the jalapenos with a knife or spatula. Spread…do not stir as you want a layered dip. Sprinkle the Ragin’ River over the cream cheese. Pour the salsa over the cream cheese. Then add the bacon to be the top layer.

Cook at 300-350 for 30-40 minutes until bubbly. I usually turn at least once to avoid burning.

Serve in the CI skillet with crackers or bagel chips….

Serves 10-12.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Gary the dip that Kim provided the recipe for is very good. But if you still want to do ABTs here is what I do.
    I slice the peppers long ways, under running water to keep the whole house from being infested with the fumes that will send everyone running. Some people wear plastic gloves to keep their hands from burning for hours. Then I stuff with cream cheese. Get the store brand cream cheese that is cheapest. Then I put little Smokey sausage in them, put them back together and stick tooth picks to hold together. Wrap with strips of bacon, I use thin sliced as it cooks faster and the thick takes too long.
    I cook them indirect with drip pan at 350, sorry I can't say how long as I haven’t paid attention to how long they cook. When the bacon is done they are done. If you don’t want to use jalapeno’s get some Cubanella peppers as they are not hot at all and will taste the same.
    Good luck, Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Take Jims text and add my slideshow and you have a good tag team! You may have to click on this twice to get it rolling. BTW where are you in Chicago?
    th_IMG_1083.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Gary:

Here is a link to how I do them...CLICK HERE

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    follow the advice below, i add some cheese to the cream cheese, cheddar, asiago etc. little smokies, pulled pork, precooked good italian etc. i cut the bacon in half, warm it up a little and stretch and wrap, i dont use toothpicks anymore. about 300, hotter if indirect, a little cooler if raised grid direct, doesnt seem to matter. plan on your first batch to take awhile cleaning and assembling, gloves help, keep the gloves wet and the cream cheese doesnt stick, the first couple times the assembly takes forever. see how ron sliced and cleaned, then all sausage, then all cheese, then all bacon, much faster that way. these were whole peppers, the half boats are faster and you get more servings

2004_0202Image0015.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like direct / raised / 400 / boats / maple bacon.....
    Mix the cream cheese with goat cheese.
    photo-48.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Make lots, they go really quick :laugh:
    Makelots.jpg

Shane
  • Mickey
    Options
    Shane what is that on the left/front?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Mickey
    That is an onion,
    found them here a couple of weeks ago, I am hooked on these now :evil:
    They cook down to a heavenly concoction :)

Shane
  • Mickey
    Options
    WHat is in it/on it?

• Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Mickey
    That is boullion and butter with some salt and pepper and garlic.
    Here is the link that got me started :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1111368&catid=1#

Then my first try
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1115177&catid=1#

Shane
  • Garyinchicago
    Options
    Thanks everyone..Very good tips. I will give them a try.
  • Garyinchicago
    Options
    Thanks. I live in North Center. You?
  • RRP
    Options
    Down state in Dunlap adjacent to Peoria.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All great advice so far. One more tip is to scoop out all the seats and innards if you want to cut down the heat on the Jalapenos. Oh...and don't rub your eye while you are prepping them. :blink:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 75Smoker
    75Smoker Posts: 1
    Options
    I love seeing the different twists people add to the ABTs. I try all the variations. One thing I have added to my recipe is to put a half of a date above the meat and cream cheese but below the bacon. It adds a nice sweet taste to the spice of the rub and pepper. With the dip or the ABTs, you should definitely have a "wow" factor.
    Good luck!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like to add some minced garlic in with the Cr cheese
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    Core the jalapenos, while wearing gloves, mix cream cheese with tastefully simple Bacon Bacon and stuff jalaps. Wrap with the thinnest Bacon your butcher can slice bake until Bacon is crispy and enjoy. Keep the beer close bye....
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    My only difference from Jim's recipe is I use a cheddar cheese.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    you can nuke the bacon for 45 sec to a minute first to get it started. it's still pliable and can be wrapped...helps to get it cooked faster on the egg.
  • Garyinchicago
    Options
    quick question I wasn't completely sure on... do most of you put the other half of the pepper on top before wrapping with bacon or is the the finished product just one half of the pepper with the filling and then wrapped with bacon?
  • Garyinchicago
    Options
    quick question I wasn't completely sure on... do most of you put the other half of the pepper on top before wrapping with bacon or is the the finished product just one half of the pepper with the filling and then wrapped with bacon?
  • RRP
    Options
    Gary, I just serve the boat-style or one half of a pepper like in my slideshow posted yesterday.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    If you are making a big batch experiment with a few different fillings. I *really* like a chorizo and queso fresco mixture.
  • TrueTex
    Options
    Looks great...gonna cook up a bunch in the morning with some wings!
  • Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i'll be rolling hard salami into these with cream cheese. does anyone have a general idea of cook time? i'll be trying to plan a meal around these things and need some sort of gauge other than "bacon doneness".

do they need to be turned?

greygoose