Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need corn advice as for VOLUME!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a cousin in AZ who is a potential egger. They participate in some big annual fund raiser corn broil event. She was asking how many ears of corn could a person do on a large BGE and could one or two tiers be added to make the capacity larger. Any help from you big events folks would be appreciated!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    maybe others would chime in, but if doing it in tiers wouldn't it really be like roasting it in an oven....

I prefer mind direct when on the grill....
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hey Ron, I am sure not a big event person, but I would think a two tier AR would handle around 20 without stacking. You might give Tom a call and see if he has any idea. :)
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi,

I haven't done big event cooking, but I do cook corn on my large BGE.

The way I do it is I wrap shucked damp corn in tin foil w/ a bit of butter. I usually do meat of some sort, so I use my pizza stone from a medium egg off to the side, with the temp set for 350f. I put the corn on a small rack over the stone, because I burned the corn once with direct heat. I can do 8 ears of corn this way, easily.

Meat over the direct heat, of course.

I cook it for about an hour this way. It heats the corn all the way through, into the cob. So it stays hot for a very long time.

A plate setter should do the trick for indirect heating of the corn. With the corn on the grid, I imagine you should be able to get 30+ ears of corn in there, with out trouble. I don't think you will need a multi layer grid for this.

Take care,

edg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    12 MAX if you go indirect with a platesetter,single layer and keep em over the platesetter(count on an hour per batch with this method,350 dome).Raised direct is the way to go for volume unless you have special gadgets.18 tops at a time.Lotsa work turnin and flippin and such.The egg is GREAT,but HI -Volume,it ain't. :whistle: Just sayin. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never done alot in the egg but have done some on open pits. as they get done i add them to a cardboard corrugated box and keep cooking, they stay hot along time if cooked in the husks that way, a cooler would even be better. tall skinney pot with light simmering water, add a pound or two of butter, it floats, dip the whole ears to coat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    Here's twelve, with husks on. Without, I'm sure you could fit more.

IMG00019-20100707-1823.jpg