Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru or Maverick ET 732??

Options
golfguy
golfguy Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggheads,

Which device would be a better purchase? I am looking to complement my Large BGE. I know I need an internal meat thermometer in general, but I have heard great things about both devices.

Thanks

Comments

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I do both actually. I like to have 2 readings on a long cook just to make sure that they are both working. Sometimes the 2 temps read differently and I end up moving to probes so they agree.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    golfguy,

You are comparing two different animals. One of them will only report (2) temps (meat/meat or meat/dome) to you and alarm you if needed. That is the Maverick. $40

The Guru will maintain your fire, report many different temps, multiple pits, and multiple meats, graph and chart the info, allow you to monitor and alter your cook remotely (throught the internet) and probably more. $300+
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    What do you want to do? If all you want to do is monitor meat temperature, a simple polder thermometer will do that. Do you want to have a BBQ Guru which actually controls the temperature of your cooker? If not, I'd go for the Maverick. If so, then the Guru.
    The Naked Whiz
  • HB Tiki
    HB Tiki Posts: 4
    Options
    I just purchased a Maverick ET 732 this spring and I love this thing. I've used it to monitor the cooking temps in my tri tips and every time the meat has come off the grill perfect. I guess your decision really depends on what you plan on using the thermometer for, but I would say for monitoring meat temps the Maverick is a great choice. Also, the probes on the Maverick are rated to like 700F so I don't think you have to worry about shorting them out. The receiver works well and so far I have no complaints.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't have a decent internal meat themometer (like a thermopen), I'd get one of those first.
    I use my thermopen with just about every cook I do. My ET-73 & DigiQ DX, I only use with "low & slows".
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    first i would get a thermapen, fast and accurate, reads meat temps and helps you to get better consistant results and safer results. maverick would be my second choice, works great for low and slows and mid roasting cooks like tday turkey. i would get a guru if i found that i was cooking ovenight frequently or maybe doing comps, its a control device that helps you maintain cooking temps, for the average backyard cook that may do 6 to 10 overnight cooks a year i dont see it being as valuable as the other two gages. the thermapens are pricey but worth every penny and the maverick is great for a low and slow once you figure out how to stabilize the egg. the control devices are not must haves unless your running several eggs overnight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I bought and use my maverick almost every cook. It's only draw back is it is only able to monitor 1 piece of meat. I am doing 2 butts this weekend and going to try using the second probe for the other butt. I am fairly congident in the eggs dome temp now especially on slow cooks They are cheap enough you can afford to buy 2 for multiple meat cooks.
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Thats good advice. I guess the intruiging part about the Guru is that it maintains the temperature for me. I am new with the egg and the few times I have used it, it held the temperatures pretty nicely...
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    ... darn that back button!
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    They are right about the thermapen, I use mine nearly every egg cook, and then plenty in the kitchen. Find Mollyshark to buy one.

I also have a Guru and I love the thing. I think it is like cruise control in a car, you don't need it, but it makes the experience much nicer.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My $.02 would be to start with the Maverick et-732 (about $60). It is much less expensive, and it will still be useful if you decide to get a controller as well. It doesn't control the temp for you but it will allow you to check on things without walking outside. You can also set high and low alarms for smoker temp and a high alarm for food temp. It's great for overnighters- it will wake you up if your fire goes to high or low.

I have both a controller and the Maverick. When I am doing a long low n slow I use both the controller and the maverick. If I am doing a shorter cook like a rib roast I only use the Maverick.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Without question, if you don't have one, first get a Thermaworks Thermapen. This will be the best accessory for the egg and your cooking in general that you will ever buy. Don't get a look alike product get the Thermapen.

Once you have a Thermapen then...

The Maverick and the Guru are two different capabilities. I use the Maverick when I use my Guru so I can monitor the egg & guru at different placed in the yard/house. The ET-732 will sound an alarm, if set, when the meat reaches target temperature and or if the pit temperature gets too hot or too low.

I use the ET-732 more often than I use the guru and I very seldom use the DigiQ without using the Maverick.

I would purchase the Maverick first then take a very close look at the DigiQ and also the Stoker.

The DigiQ will monitor and control the cook on ONE single egg. The DigiQ is an at egg controller and has a bright display with an audible alerts. If you happen to be away from view or sound of the DigiQ that is where the Maverick is useful.

Keep in mind the Stoker will do everything the DigiQII does plus this controller will handle monitoring and controlling of the egg from any device that has web browser capability, such as a cell phone, Ipad, tablet, Nook, Kindle, desktop or laptop computer.

The Stoker will control and monitor multiple meats on one cook or multiple eggs and multiple meats on many eggs all at the same time. The limitation is the number of blowers and temperature probes you elect to purchase.

After buying the DigiQ I ended up buying the Stoker. I have one blower on the Stoker and 4 meat probes and 1 pit probe for the Stoker. At times I have used both the DigiQ and Stoker to cook on two eggs. I used the extra probes on the Stoker to monitor the cook the DigiQ was controlling. On the DigiQ cook the Stoker acted much like using a Maverick would do. Food and Pit monitor and alarm.

After having and using both the Stoker and DigiQ, if I were only to buy one powered controller I would opt for the Stoker.

GG
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I have the Thermopen and DigiQ, I dont do over niters.
    But i do use the DigiQ anytime i am cooking a butt, Ribs or a Turkey. Just set it and forget it. and wait
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I have both the et-73 and the et-732 and I have found I like the 732 to be a step up from the 73. the guru is what you are looking for to use on long low and slow. i use the 732 whnever i am cooking meat for more than 30 min. so I know internal temp and don't have to open egg any more than i need to.